Part 4-Kaden Blythe Chapter 35

Part 4- Kaden Blythe

Chapter 35

I was a bit startled when Sage ran out of Holden's room. My first thought was that she and Emma had had another cat fight, but I stopped myself from drawing any conclusions until I knew the whole story. To my horror she didn't stop running; she carried on at a constant speed and ran out the front door and into the rain.

"Sage," I called out to her over the sound of the howling wind. I knew she heard me, because she faltered slightly, but she just kept on running. I could have caught up to her if I wanted to, but I was curious as to what she was doing. Also I didn't want to be the over-protective boyfriend. The thought that she was running away did cross my mind, but one look at her attire was enough to convince me otherwise. She wore a flimsy T-shirt that clung to her body with the rain. Her feet were bare and caked in mud and leaves.

I stayed a couple of paces behind her, watching her every move. She stopped by a large tree and put one hand on its trunk and the other on her chest, while she bent over slightly and started panting. It surprised me that she was out of breath, especially since I knew she hadn't been running for that long.

"Foxie," I said, walking up to her and placing a hand on her shoulder. Her face was wet: a mixture of tears and rainwater. Her eyes were so bloodshot that I could pick out each individual vein. Drops of water settled on her lashes and glistened like precious diamonds.

"I don't want to talk about it," she stated, without me saying anything. She shook my hand away and refused to meet my eyes.

"We need to go inside," I reasoned with her. "You'll catch your death of cold out here."

"And you won't?"

"My immune system is stronger than yours.' I placed my palm on her damp cheek.

She scoffed, but didn't push me away this time. I sighed when I realised she had no intention of coming inside. I moved my face closer to hers and closer still, until out faces were less than an inch apart.

"How's Gina?" she enquired, with a slight tilt of her head. She was breathing heavily, but was otherwise unaffected by my nearness.

"Why must you always do this?" I chided. "Ruin the moment," I clarified, when she gave me a puzzled expression.

"We were having a moment?"

"If this wasn't a moment, I don't know what a moment is," I replied, shaking my head. "I followed you out here in the cold, for God knows what reason, and I was willing to wait here with you until you decided you wanted to go inside. I was going to kiss you, for no other reason than to replace your tears with a smile," I explained and exhaled deeply, watching the steam that escaped my mouth and hit her square in the face.

"Then kiss me," she commanded, with no emotion in her voice. I put my index finger under her chin and lifted her face up, I was surprised to see the blank expression on her usually animated face. "Kiss me," she repeated, grabbing a fistful of the front of my jacket.

She shivered uneasily and I pried her fingers off me, to give her my jacket. Her lips had become slightly blue and I was debating whether to haul her over my shoulder and carry her inside. I placed my jacket on her shoulders, but she made no move to catch it as it slipped off her body. I gently put her right arm in the sleeve and did the same to her left arm, while she watched me from under her thick, sooty eyelashes. After zipping the jacket up, I traced her eyebrow with the tip of my finger. I wanted to kiss her, but I wouldn't, not while I wasn't sure what brought about this sudden change of mood.

"Did Emma say something?" I asked, knowing the last thing Sage had done was talk to Emma.

She shook her head, but she didn't bother to tell me the real reason she had been crying. "I need you to kiss me like you mean it."