Chapter 47

Chapter 47

Alicia's gun clattered to the floor and Ryan dashed for it. Nobody moved to stop him, partly because Kaden was still threatening me with a knife and partly because everyone was baffled.

Alicia? I remembered from the conversation I had had with Emma that Alicia was the name of Holden's sister, but she should be dead. This woman couldn't be Alicia, but she was. She'd recognised Holden and Holden had recognised her.

"Holden," she whispered, her voice so low that it was almost as if she hadn't said anything.

She had light brown hair, with honey-coloured streaks, that showed in the light of the apartment. I noticed that her face was pixie shaped: high cheekbones and a pointed chin. Her suit was cut to fit her slender frame. She was small, but still very bosomy and looked to be not much older than us.

"Holden, we need to go." Kaden tried to shake Holden out of his reverie.

Ryan held the gun in his hand, unsure what to do with it. He pointed it at Alicia, but then though better of it and turned it to face Holden.

"What are you doing? I asked Ryan, trying to grab the gun from him, but Kaden refused to offer me even a little room for movement. He tightened his grip on my waist, his fingernails digging into my belly.

"Shhh," Kaden hissed close to my ear, it left an uncomfortable ringing sound as it hit my eardrums.

Ryan pushed Holden towards the door and signalled to Kaden to do the same to me. This was the only way for us to get out of here alive. I just hoped Kaden's hand didn't slip and cut my throat, and that Ryan's finger didn't accidentally press the trigger and shoot Holden.

"My little brother." Alicia moved towards us, but Ryan swung the gun uneasily and that was enough to convince her that he had no clue what he was doing and that the gun was dangerous in his hands.

I expected someone else to move towards us, to block the exit, but nobody did. Ryan continued to push Holden, who didn't even try to help by moving his limbs. He was as stiff as a doll, it looked like his whole body had shut down.

"Move." Ryan shoved him and Kaden used his shoulder to help steer Holden in the right direction.

Once we had successfully made it out of the apartment, Ryan shut the door and placed the gun through the handle, so that the door couldn't be opened from the other side.

"Run!" Kaden told me, slipping the knife into his pocket. "I'll stall them."

I had a flashback of my mom telling me something similar. Why is everyone I love always sacrificing themselves for me?

"I'm not leaving without you." I refused to be swayed.

Kaden sighed, "Why?"

He couldn't have found a better time for us to have this conversation. I knew what he wanted me to say: that I loved him. Instead I responded with, "You know why." And as I said this, the door started shaking on its hinges. They had started pushing against it and after they gave up on pushing, they started shooting at the handle. It wouldn't be long before they were able to loosen the entire handle .

Ryan sensed the same thing I had, and began running down the stairs with my hand in his.

I looked back and was grateful to see that Kaden was right behind us, half pulling and half carrying Holden, whose eyes were barely open.

"I need to go back for my sister," Holden stated, but didn't fight Kaden. He was too shocked to do anything by himself.

Kaden seemed to be ignoring Holden's words and I wondered if he had heard him. Kaden held Holden with one hand, while he used his knife handle to break through the window of one of the cars. The window shattered and glass rained down onto the leather seats of the black sedan. It looked like a police cruiser, save for a yellow star shaped sticker that declared it was an FBI car. He reached through the broken window and pressed a button to unlock all the doors. I winced as the jagged glass cut into his arm. He threw Holden in the back seat and held the door open for me, but Ryan had already pulled me to the other side and opened the door for me. Kaden angrily slammed the door as Ryan climbed in the passenger seat.