Chapter 9

Jacob's POV
How the hell is she not scared of me?

I just stood there and let her cry.

"Hey I got you something."

She sniffled.

"Y-you did?"

"Well yeah. Kim told me that it's your birthday. After my mom picked me up at the airport she brought me home so I could shower and change. Then she brought me to get you something. After that she brought me here."

I backed up and took a box out of my pocket. I handed it to her.

"I know it's nothing big but I didn't want to take forever."

She sat up and took the box.

"You're the first person to get me something."

She opened it.

"Kim told me you like roses so I found a necklace."

She smiled.

"Thank you."

She took it out of the box and put it on. I sat down at the end of the bed.

"Did you see anything?"

"What do you mean?"

"They were posting me. I was just wondering if you watched anything."

"Ew no. Absolutely not. I didn't even know they were recording you."

"I saw my dad."

"He's free? Wait they let him see you?"

"No. I saw him when Nancy and Dennis had me. I guess this world hates me."

"That's definitely not true. I don't hate you. I literally told you that I love you yesterday. I got on a late night plane for you. I wanted to be here when you got up in the morning. Everyone kept telling me to just give up on you."

"Why didn't you?"

"I've lost too many people I've cared about. Since I met you, I've felt like I had to protect you. Jesus Christ this feels weird to say. But I've been having dreams about you. The first one was we were in my room and I was kissing you. I didn't know what was going on. Then you asked me to kiss you. I think that's when I started to like you. Seeing all this shit happen to you fucking kills me."

"Oh no. You have a scar on your hand."

"Eh. I'm fine. Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah."

"How come you're not scared of me?"

She paused.

"I-I actually don't know. I think it's because my aunt said you were a good kid. I've always listened to her. She's the only relative that showed me that someone loves me. At first, I was scared when I heard the doorbell. I didn't know what it was until Aunt Kim told me. I hid behind the couch. Then I heard you talking. I figured I'd should be nice and say "Hi." to you. Then you were nice enough to show me around school. You've never given me a reason to not trust you. All my life I've been hurt by guys in my life. But you...you're completely different. You're the reason I like apple pie now."

We chuckled.

"My parents didn't let me eat anything good. Sometimes they gave me moldy bread or expired milk. Aunt Kim said that I looked unwell so I just ate the pie until I was full."

"How come you told me everything right away?"

"I don't know. It was a random decision. I was surprised I even told you. Then you pulled my cousin off of me. I didn't know that taking a drink from someone I wasn't comfortable with wasn't smart."