Chapter 33

Veronica's POV
"It is okay to ask for help. It is okay to not be okay. Baby you need to put yourself first for once."

"That's not easy."

"I know. Let's get you to the dining room so you can sit while, I get everything ready for us to watch the movie."

I helped him get to the dining room. I helped him walk over to a chair and sit down. I stood behind him and hugged him from behind. I put my chin on his head.

"I-I can't help it. I'm so used to not worrying about myself."

"You need to get used to it. Relax. You need rest."

"I feel useless."

"But you're not. Why do you think that?"

He shrugged.

"You're pregnant and you're not supposed to be doing a lot. But...you're helping me."

"I'm helping you, because I love you. Plus...I need you fully recovered for when the baby is here."

"Oh right. Y-you have a point. I-I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It's okay. You can't help how you feel."

I kissed the top of his head.

"You're gonna get through this. I'm going to help you. I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon."

"I-I hope they got him. I-I haven't been sleeping well."

"I know you're not. I can tell by your voice."

"Huh?"

"When you're tired, your voice gets deeper."

I started running my fingers through his hair.

"I-it does?"

"Yeah. You don't hear it?"

"I heard your voice when you get tired too. I-I didn't know, mine did that."

"Well...now you do. Tonight, I want you to try to sleep. Forget about everything. If you need me, wake me up."

"B-but you need rest too."

"Stop worrying about me. When you need me, I'm gonna be there for you. I already fucked that up once. I'm never doing that again. How much pain are you in? It's been a while since, you've had your meds."

He exhaled.

"You want me to be honest?"

"Mhm."

"I'm in so much goddamn pain right now. My side feels like, it's on fire."

"I'll go get your meds."

"I-I'm fine. I-I'll fall asleep while we watch the movie if, I take them."

"Baby no. I can always pause it and we can go back to it, another time. The sooner you rest, the sooner you'll get better. I'm going to get your meds and you are going to take them. Alright?"

"Yes doctor."

"I'll be right back."

I walked away and went to get his pain meds. I opened the bottles and took out a pill. After I did that, I put the bottles back. I went back to the dining room. I heard the microwave. I walked into the kitchen and saw Jacob making popcorn.

"Jacob? Why are you up?"

"Oh fuck. Y-you caught me."

I walked over to him and put his pain meds on the counter.

"Ew. I have to take this one still? It has a horrible aftertaste."

"Then drink soda with it."

I watched him take his pain meds. The microwave wave beeped and I opened it. I grabbed a big bowl and opened the bag. I dumped the popcorn in. I noticed Jacob started holding his side.

"Baby go upstairs. Didn't we just have a conversation about this?"

"I-I'm sorry. I-it's a instinct."

I smiled.

"I know. That's one of the things I love about you. You love helping people."