Chapter 38

Jacob's POV
It's been 6 years since this happened now. I've missed out on so much of my daughter's life already. I've missed her first steps. I've missed her first words. I've missed her first full sentence.

She probably, already has someone else, as a father figure for her.

I decided to move. I got a bigger house. Just in case...I ever get them back.

This could be my daughter's room.

She'd have enough room to play.

I broke down in the middle of the room. I fell to my knees. I stood up and got ready. I went to my car. I got in and started driving to Kim's house. I got in the driveway and parked. I took a deep breath and walked up to the front door. I knocked. Kim opened the door. She looked upset.

"Oh no. Jacob you look like a wreck!"

"I feel like it too."

"You just missed her."

"I-I did?"

"Yes. I'm sorry."

"She moved on, didn't she?"

"I-I don't know. She had a boyfriend. I'm not sure if, she actually loves him."

I looked down.

"I should've known, she would. I-I'm sorry to bother you. I-I won't ask to see her. You don't have to tell her, I was here. She obviously doesn't care about me anymore."

"Jacob that's not true."

I shook my head.

"You don't have to lie to me. I-I should go. I'm sorry, I wasted your time. I moved so, make sure she doesn't go to my old house."

"Do you want to give me your address?"

I shook my head.

"I-I'm not meant to be with her, I guess. I know, I should've came to her sooner. I was scared. I thought, I wasn't ready to see her. The one time I feel ready, she's gone. I'm such a fool. I'm still in love with her."

I heard footsteps running up to me.

"Aunt Kimmy? Who's this?"

I picked my head up. I saw a little girl. I started fighting back tears.

She looks like me.

This is so painful.

I didn't say anything. I just turned around and left. I went home. I ran up to my room and started crying.

Veronica's POV
I got to the front door and unlocked it. I opened it then walked in. River came running up to me.

"Mommy!"

I crouched down. She ran into my arms.

"Hey!"

"Mommy? A man came over today."

"Oh? Did he say what his name was?"

She shook her head.

"It was Jacob."

I looked up. I saw my aunt's arms were crossed. I stood up.

"How is he?"

"Fuckin miserable. He didn't even ask to see River. He didn't even want me to tell you, he was here."

"Oh."

"That's all you have to say? "Oh"?"

"What else am I supposed to say?"

"Riv, go play."

River ran away.

"You absolutely crushed him. He's convinced, you don't love him anymore."

I shrugged.

"It's been 6 years. He hasn't come to me. I can't wait for someone that, won't even come back to me."