Chapter 42

Veronica's POV
When he was stable, they let us go in. I put River on the bed. She laid down next to Jacob.

"I-I tried to stop him."

I didn't want to leave the hospital. I had to leave to bring River to school. I went back to the hospital afterwards. I walked over to the bed and grabbed his hand. I kissed his forehead.

"I'm so sorry. You're right. I should've stayed. I shouldn't have left. Everything's going to change once you wake up. Me and River will move in with you. We won't leave again. We'll be together again. We'll be a family. Please just wake up."

I had to leave later that day to pick up River. I brought her back to the hospital. I put her on the bed.

"Mommy? Can I talk to him?"

"Yes. You don't have to ask."

She started telling Jacob about her day.

"I had fun in music class today. We got to watch videos of concerts. I asked Mrs. Pillar to show videos of you. I was so happy."

She watched Jacob's concerts in school?

"Everyone's jealous. I have the coolest daddy. Maybe when you're better, you can bring me to school."

She started playing with Jacob's hospital wristband.

"This feels weird."

She yawned.

"Daddy? Can you hear me?"

She opened one of Jacob's eyes. I moved her hands.

"Don't do that. You'll hurt him."

"I'm sorry daddy."

She kissed Jacob's forehead.

"My music teacher, wants to know if, you can come talk to us when you feel better. You're gonna get better right?"

"You can't ask him questions. He can't answer you."

"But he can hear me right?"

"Most likely."

"What was I saying? Oh yeah! Lunch was okay. One of my friends was sick. I like my friend Callum. He's really funny. I've been sad lately. He's been helping me."

She started holding Jacob's hand.

"Mommy! He's squeezing my hand!"

I jumped up.

"Really?!"

River started hovering over Jacob's face.

"Daddy!"

I saw Jacob wrap one of his arms around her.

"Is he awake?"

She nodded. She backed away. Jacob's eyes were open.

"Hey baby!"

I ran to get someone to take him off the ventilator. When he was taken off it, he sat up and started coughing. He wrapped his arms around River and laid back down. He started holding her tight.

"Da-daddy? You're hurting me."

Jacob let her go. I put the bed in a sitting position. Jacob started hugging me. I kissed the top of his head.

Jacob's POV
"I'll be right back. I'm gonna call your sister."

Veronica walked away and River sat in front of me. She started playing with my hospital band.

"Does this feel weird?"

"Eh. It's just annoying. How have you been?"

"Scared."

"Oh no. Why are you scared?"

"I didn't want to lose you. I love you." She said as her voice cracked.

"Aw sweetie. Come here."

I held my arms out and she jumped onto them. She wrapped her arms around my neck. I started rubbing her back.

"I love you too."

I pressed our foreheads together. I moved hair out of her face.

"It's okay. I'm okay. It'll be okay."

She started crying.

"No no. It's okay. Don't cry."

I started wiping tears away.

"It's okay. Daddy's right here. You and mommy, are gonna move in with me. Okay?"

Veronica walked back in.

"Hey when I'm better, I'll go to your school and talk to your music class. Sound good?"

She sniffled.

"Y-you will?"

I nodded. I kissed her forehead.

"Ronnie? I heard everything said. Did you mean it? About moving in?"

"Yes. I meant it."