Chapter 14

Jacob's POV
I stood up. I started walking away from the dining room table.

"Jake? Where are you going?"

I didn't answer. I ran to the front door. I opened it. I saw Veronica just standing there.

"Thank god!"

I went to hug her but she ran away.

"Ronnie?! Come back!"

I ran after her. She ran back into her house. She slammed the door shut and locked it. I started trying to open the door.

"Baby?! Let me in!"

I heard her running away. I noticed Kim's car wasn't in the driveway anymore. I walked back to my house with my head down. I walked inside and sat down at the dining room table again. I went back to playing with my food.

"What was that about?"

I shrugged. I stood up and threw my food away. I dragged myself up to my room. My dad grabbed my wrist.

"If you're this miserable because of her, break up with her."

My heart cracked.

"B-but I-I love her."

"She's treating you like shit."

"So? She's depressed! That's not her fault!"

"Don't raise your voice at me!"

I yanked my wrist away.

"I'm not breaking up with her. You can't make me."

"Yes I can. I'm your father."

I looked over his shoulder. I saw Veronica holding a box. I saw a tear slide down her face.

"Baby I-"

She dropped the box and ran away again.

"Nice going dad. Ya happy now?!"

I picked up the box and ran after her again.

"My love come back!"

She ran to her house and shut the door again. I heard her lock it again. My heart cracked more.

Did I just lose her?

Kim's car came back into the driveway. She saw me and jumped out of her car. She ran up to me.

"What happened?"

"She overheard my dad, telling me to break up with her. I-I wasn't going to listen. She didn't let me explain. She just ran away again." I said as my voice cracked.

"I'll go talk to her."

"Maybe...she just wants space? I have no idea. I doubt she'll listen."

I walked back to my house with my head down. I went to the front door and saw my dad waiting outside.

"Son I-I didn't mean for that to happen."

"Well...it did. Thanks for making the love of my life run." I said as my voice cracked.

I ran up to my room. I slammed my door shut and sat in front of it. I started crying.

I fucked up.

I should've stayed with her.

I opened the box and saw a necklace. I took it out and started looking at it. I saw a date on it. I immediately realized what it was. It was the date we first met.

My life just got fucked up.

I could not stop staring at the date. I broke down more. I held the necklace close to my chest. I heard my parents arguing. Someone knocked on my door.

"Jake? I-it's Lake."

"G-go away!"

"Why?"

"I-I wanna be alone! I have to get used to it!"

"Jakey...I'm going to go talk to her. This is dad's fault. Everyone knows."