Chapter 20

Jacob's POV
I woke up in a hospital bed. My throat was wrapped up. After my throat was healed, I still didn't talk. I still wasn't eating or sleeping. One day, the doorbell rang. I dragged myself out of bed. I walked to the front door and opened it. I saw Veronica.

"O-oh god. You look horrible! I-I caused this?"

I nodded.

"Jacob...I-I'm so sorry. I-I was mad at myself. I-I fucked up. I-I took it out on you."

I looked away.

"Jake I-I still love you."

I cleared my throat.

"No. No you don't. You said you hate me straight to my face."

"I-I lied!"

I shook my head.

"No. No you didn't. You're not a liar."

"I-I did lie to you!"

I shrugged.

"I want to believe you but...I just can't."

She cupped my face. She started kissing me. I pushed her away.

"Jacob..."

"It doesn't feel the same."

"I-I'll make it up to you!"

"It's been what? 5 years? You can't make up 5 years. You can't give me them back."

"Jake please!"

"Why are you here?"

"I-I miss you!"

"I miss you too but...I can't believe you. You told me to listen to the voice inside my head. If you loved me...you wouldn't have done that."

"Jake please listen to me."

"I'm listening. I'm not liking what I'm hearing though."

She grabbed my hands.

"Please let me fix this."

"You can't fix what you did. You can't take back what you said. I begged you to stay. You threw me out as if, I'm worthless."

"B-but you're not!"

"Goodbye Veronica. I'm sorry I was a waste of time for you." I said as my voice cracked.

"Jacob I didn't mean that!"

"Then why'd you say it?"

"I-I was pissed at myself!"

"I spent a lotta money on that necklace. I was there for hours making sure, it was perfect for you. I got you flowers. That was me trying to fix things. That happened all within 4 months. I'm not saying you have to get me shit. I'm just saying...you better find a good way to make it up to me. That song is extremely hateful towards me. I haven't written one goddamn thing about you."

"Y-you haven't?"

I shook my head.

"You don't deserve any of that."

"H-how do you know...it's about you?"

"I put the pieces together. One of the fucking verses has the whole misunderstanding about what my father said. I haven't bashed you to anyone. I don't know who you are anymore. You're not my Veronica. You're not my songbird."

"Can I please come in?"

"I'm sorry but...no."

"Why?"

"I won't want you to leave."

"A-and I don't want to leave!"

"You did that already. You seem happy without me. I'm a goddamn wreck without you."

"B-but I-I'm not happy!"

"Yeah okay. I don't believe you."