Chapter 41

Veronica's POV
"I'm such a fucking idiot! I love you and I can't let you go!"

"You're not an idiot. I am."

"No. I am. I thought, we were meant to be together. I thought...I finally found someone who...who wouldn't leave me. Then you left. You keep leaving. What did I do to you?"

"Nothing. It's all my fault."

"No shit. Get away from my house."

"I'm worried about you."

He scoffed.

"Yeah okay. You seriously think, I'd believe that? Go to hell Veronica Barnes. I tried to fix your heart. In return....you destroyed mine."

"Jacob wait!"

He slammed the door in my face again. I went back to my aunt's house. I got inside and started crying. My aunt walked up to me. She crossed my arms.

"Let me guess. You went over there and said what he needed to hear and...he didn't believe you, right?"

I nodded.

"I miss him!"

"Don't shout. River's napping."

I sniffled.

"H-how can I fix this?"

"Don't ask me that. I have no idea. That's for you to figure out."

"He told me...he wants to die still."

"I honestly thought, you'd be better than this. You're turning into your mother. You're treating him, like shit. He's been nothing but nice to you. This is how you thank him? If I were you, I'd go back over there."

"Why?"

"He told you, he wants to die right?"

"Yeah. Where are you going with this?"

"If you don't get over there, River might not have a father anymore."

My eyes widened. I ran outside and jumped back into my car. I drove as quickly as I could. When I got back to his house, I started banging on the door. I picked the lock. I ran inside.

"Jacob?! Where are you?!"

I ran around his house. I found him in his bathroom. He had a gun in his hand. He was just staring at it.

"JACOB NO!"

I ran up to him. I sat down in front of him on my knees. I went to grabbed the gun but, his grip tightened.

"Why are you here?"

"I-I'm worried!"

"If you were that worried, you would've stayed."

He put the gun up to his chest.

"Jacob look at me. Put the gun down."

"I can't do that. I'm a burden."

"No you're not!"

"To you, I am. You keep leaving."

"That's my fault. Baby it's all my fault."

He started crying.

"Give me the gun."

He took it off safety. He started pulling the trigger.

"NO! PLEASE DON'T!"

"It's better this way. I'm sorry."

He pulled the trigger. I screamed. His eyes shut.

"Jacob?! Jacob?! JACOB?!"

I started shaking him. I called for help. I wasn't allowed to go to the hospital with him. I just stared at the blood in his bathroom. I called Lakelyn. She ran in when she got there.

"What happened?!"

"H-he shot himself. I-I tried to get him to stop but...he didn't listen."

He was in surgery for 48 hours. I paced around the waiting room. Lakelyn found me.

"Oh. You're still here? I'm shocked. You didn't show up last time."

"I-I thought...you wouldn't let me."

She crossed her arms.

"I was fuckin waiting for you to show up. He needed you to show up."

"What should I do?"

"Go get River."

"Why?"

"To have her say "Goodbye"."

"Please tell me, you're joking."

"You really think, I'd joke about my brother possibly dying? Unfuckingbelievable."

I quickly went back to my aunt's. I unlocked the door and ran in.

"River?! Where are you?!"

She came running up to me.

"Mommy! What's wrong?"

"Daddy's hurt. He's not doing well."

I got a few things together then, brought River to the hospital. I found Lakelyn and ran up to her. I saw people working on Jacob.

"Wh-what happened?!"

"He coded."

"What?!"

"They've been working on him for 4 minutes now. You might be too late."