chapter 14 ~ if only you knew

As I opened my eyes, I saw another set of beautiful blue eyes staring back at me. "Good morning baby." Michael said softly, before giving me a kiss. "Good morning." I yawned. I really didn't want to get up, but I wanted to talk to Michael all about last night. He deserved to know.

"Want any coffee?" His morning voice was so hot. "Yes please." I said, resting my head back down on the couch. Sometimes I wish he'd just let me in his bedroom but he never let me in. So frustrating. Sometimes I felt like he was too respectful for his own good.

We sat back down and enjoyed each others company before I broke the silence. "So, about last night. It turns out William isn't our issue." The look on Michael's face said it all. After everything I told him about that man, why would I forgive him so easily? I still didn't know the answer to that myself.

"So, then who is?" He seemed like he wanted to help this time. "I don't know yet. It's whoever killed William's daughter, that's who I'd say caused all of this. The only issue is, nobody knows who did it." Michael's face went pale. I don't think he quite expected to be helping in a murder case.

"I really don't know how we're going to figure this out, but if we can, we might just be able to save William from himself. From pure madness." It honestly felt good to say that. I think that's why I could forgive him. I now knew why he did what he did, and it made me realize he wasn't just like that for no reason.

Don't get me wrong, what he did was still fucked up, but it was nice knowing that I could save him from himself. It was comforting to know that I could somewhat bring back the William Afton I once knew.

We sat and discussed the events that went down last night. Between the fight with William, to our desperate flee from the pizzeria. I had two more things to talk to him about. One that he might not know anything about, and another that could break his heart. I knew it was the right thing to do though.

"Do you know who Vanessa is?" I asked him bluntly. I just wanted to get to the point of all of this. His face looked annoyed. This should be good. "You mean the other night guard?" He asked with a bit of an irritated tone in his voice. "Yes that one." I said.

"She's so fucking annoying. All she does is flirt with me, even after I told her I had a girlfriend. She just doesn't give up." He rolled his eyes in disgust. I guess some people never change.
I giggled a bit. "What's so funny about that?" Michael looked even more disgusted now. "It just makes me happy to think that other people know you're hot, but can't have you." I winked at him. His face went red, and I kissed him on the cheek. Standing up and flipping my hair while going to get more coffee.

I don't know why, but something about that made me realize just who I pulled. I didn't even question how I pulled him, it more so just made me feel like the shit. It felt good. I peaked behind me too see Michael's jaw dropped. "That's right, enjoy the view." I thought to myself and let out a small giggle.

I needed to stop, especially after what I knew I was about to have to tell him. I put my coffee down on the table, and ran to the bathroom. I needed a minute to clear my mind and think about exactly how I was going to say this. There was no way he'd stay with me after I told him. I couldn't just keep this to myself though. That'd be extremely selfish.

I washed my hands and made my way out, taking a deep breath. I felt my hands start to sweat. This was practically it. I felt my heart start to break too. I loved him, but I couldn't lead him on. I knew if we found Afton, that would be it. I was so fucking selfish. I should've never even gotten into this relationship with him in the first place.

I didn't even make it to the couch before I started crying. I made my way to the couch in tears, falling into Michael's arms. The guilt was eating me alive. "What's wrong?" He seemed panicked. He had no idea what had happened. I could only muster out the words "I'm sorry," a few times in between my tears. "Sorry for what?" He asked, wiping my tears from my eyes. "Michael Afton. He's still alive." I couldn't move. The guilt was paralyzing at this point.

He let out a sigh, but didn't say a word. We just sat there, him trying to comfort me. How selfish...I was the one who knew I'd go elsewhere given the chance, but I was the one who was being comforted. That small boost of confidence I had just a few minutes ago was crushed. I felt disgusted with myself.

"What about him?" Michael asked, but he knew the answer. I just don't think he wanted to accept reality. "I still love him." I said shakily. "What else?" He questioned more. "William. He told me he loves me." Michael jumped at that. "William has a thing for you?" He asked in shock. "What no dumbass. He told me he talked to Michael Afton, and he still feels the same too."

He sighed what felt like one of relief. That was a scary thought. I just held onto him as long as I could, but I felt him get up and go to the bathroom. I thought he was mad at me. I just sat and stared, feeling terrible about myself. I hated myself for this.

I reasoned with myself, that maybe I wouldn't feel that way. Maybe I could stay with Michael Schmidt. I walked to the bathroom, trying to reason with him too. When I got to the door, there was nobody in there. Did he not go to it? I knew I shouldn't, but I went around the place looking for him.

I walked down the hallway and saw his room door was cracked shut. He must've gone in here. I already felt shitty enough, so why not just go in? I opened the door and he wasn't there. There was another bathroom in his room. That explained that.

I looked around his room. It looked like it was ripped straight out of the 80s. The posters, I recognized all of them. AC/DC, Duran Duran, and other bands I knew. It made me feel nostalgic. I looked over at the pictures. A family photo. I couldn't really make out the picture or who was in it. It looked like it had been burned with a cigarette before.

As I was snooping, I noticed something. Something so oddly familiar. It hit me.

I studied one of the pictures on the wall. It was a boy, he looked to be about 17 years old. He had a mullet, and had a gray, sleeveless shirt on, and jeans. He looked like he had been into a fight recently in this photo as well, he was all bandaged up.

It looked like he had just gotten his first car that day. It was a 1983 Audi Quattro. This was for sure a picture of Michael, but why do I feel like I remember this photo.

Realization hit me, and my suspicions went through the roof. I felt like I remembered this photo being taken, because I was there when it was taken. I remembered it, because I was the one who took it. I looked at another image on his nightstand. It was a picture of me and Michael Afton. What the fuck was going on? Was this Michael Schmidt my long-lost lover? Was Michael Schmidt actually Michael Afton? Why was he lying to me?

The bathroom door opened, and I froze. "S-shit." Michael stuttered out.

—————————————————————————

A/N ~ WELL WELL WELL! What do we have here? I've been dropping hints, and I was wondering if anyone picked up on them. What do you think is going to happen in the next chapter? I know! Hehe. I hope you're all enjoying!