Chapter Three

-Kaden's POV-

Something's wrong, and it bothered me because I couldn't for the life of me figure out what.

The calm before the storm was still in its mists and I was content to enjoy the calm while I could, for now anyway, but then what was this I was feeling? A sense of unease? Paranoia? It was like I was missing something, something that should be so obvious, but for some reason, it wasn't.

I sighed as I walked into class an hour late, as usual.

The teacher didn't say anything as I walked to my desk beside Cameron, who looked up with a soft smile when he heard me approaching. I returned the smile, taking my seat as the teacher continued her lesson.

This was normal, we had Soul Wakers working at the school for this reason, I was allowed to come and go as needed, and even the human teachers had finally stopped questioning it, except Tom, but he's new, eventually he'll get used to it too.

My file explained that I had family problems that I needed to attend to from time to time, so I was given permission to come and go as I please, just as long as I keep the principal informed.

Which most of the time I didn't end up doing, we had some Soul Wakers working higher up that oversaw that for me, and for the most part, it all went smoothly, and nobody questioned me further.

As long as I was keeping my grades up, they didn't care.

"Everything go okay?"  Cameron asked through our mind link once I'd pulled out my notebook and started taking notes.

"Yes, thank you. All is good,I confirmed, seeing him nod from the corner of my eye.

Most mornings went smoothly in Galtolga, and that was the way I liked it.

After the brief encounter, I tried really hard to focus in class, but it didn't come as a surprise when I found myself spacing out, once again. It was an irritating habit I had gotten myself into, and it was proving to be quite the habit to shake, especially when most of the time I wasn't even aware I was doing it.

The bell rang above my head, almost making me jump in my seat, and succeeding in snapping me out of whatever the hell that was, I looked down at my notebook, but of the course the pages that stared back were empty.

With a sigh, I shoved the book back into my bag, trying to not let my frustration show as Cameron and I walked out of the classroom.

"Hey, Cameron?" I caught his attention before we could get too far ahead, letting the crowd of students disperse.

"What's up?" He asked with a blank expression.

I didn't know how to word it, maybe it was a stupid question, but I had to know.

"Do you...sense anything...off?" I thought carefully about my words, watching Cameron closely as his face morphed into confusion.

"Um...no?" I could tell he wanted to ask more but he didn't, so I shook my head and forced a smile.

"No, it's okay, I was just curious." I shook it off, wishing Cameron a good day with a promise of meeting for lunch later, before we separated for our next class.

The feeling in my stomach grew the closer to the classroom I got, and I couldn't shake off the feeling of agitation, though I hoped I hid it well.

"Hey man!" Adrian grinned from his seat beside Zach, who smiled and waved when he followed Adrian's eyes.

"Good morning," I greeted, taking my seat behind them, and immediately forcing my eyes down on the desk, I didn't feel like talking all of a sudden.

But...