Chapter Thirty-Four

-Kaden's POV-

"Call your men off," I told Adam as I did the same.

"All is well, carry on as usual."

I tried to make sense of the other things on the lists, but they were very cryptic, they could mean many things.

I passed the list to Adam. Jupiter didn't give us any rules for this, but he did say me, not us. Would it be cheating to have Adam help with this?

"He didn't say I couldn't be there while you do them though, but I think you are right." He frowned. "An offering of peace," he read out the first thing. "Can it be anything?"

"I read about that once. There was a spout between Keepers, a Soul Waker, and a human. The Soul Waker gave their human keeper what they called 'an offering of peace and trust'. It was a piece of fruit picked from a tree in Galtolga. The fruit doesn't grow here on Earth so is seen as rare and special; it is also something that should not fall into the wrong hands. You are not allowed to take the fruit out of Galtolga without my permission, though I must admit, they aren't the easiest to collect."

"It's worth a try," he shrugged. "Do you want me to..." He stopped, his eyes glancing to the side slightly, before returning to me a moment later.

"Need to go?" I asked.

"I'm needed at the pack house," he frowned.

"Go. I can handle this one, contact me when you are free." I kissed him quickly on the cheek, feeling pretty safe with nobody around.

"Will do, love. Good luck." He grinned.

Adam went back to the pack house and me to Galtolga. The two boys from earlier were already waiting outside of my office.

"Come with me," I ordered, not stopping as I led them outside of the building and around the back of the castle. We walked a bit further before the giant trees came into view.

"I need to collect two pieces of fruit from this tree. I will be retrieving one, and I want you two to work together to get the other," I told them.

They looked at each other wide-eyed before looking back at me with hesitation. "Yes, sir."

The tree was about 100 feet tall, but with our powers that wasn't the problem. It was the countless vines and branches that worked together to protect the fruit. It was easier with two people but only if they worked together.

You could feel the power pouring off the tree you higher you got. I could just make them do it for me, but this was something I had to do, and I may as well teach them a lesson while I was at it.

Most people didn't know that the tree doesn't attack until you grab the fruit or attack the tree. Most people rush in with a blade and the fight starts immediately because of this. I guess everybody had their own techniques, but I preferred to just persevere.

The vines and branches created a shield for the fruit, but I could see the orange and yellow fruit sparkling between the gaps. I placed my feet onto one of the higher branches. I couldn't hear nor see the other boys as I practically climbed into the arms of the tree.

I caressed the wood and the branches moved around me, I just had to make sure I didn't get trapped. My exit was clear, and the fruit was slowly being revealed to me, the branches moving just enough for me to be able to grab the fruit.

I had to get the timing perfect.

And then...persevere.

I jumped from the branch, falling into the air as my hand grabbed the fruit, releasing it from the tree. Before I could fall, the vine sprang out and gripped onto my wrist, the branch digging into my hand painfully.