Chapter Thirteen

Double upload because it's my birthday:)

-Adam's POV-

With just ten minutes to spare, I had everybody I needed, gathered in the pack house, awaiting Kaden's arrival.

Everyone was just as curious as I was, as to what it was he wished to speak with us about, I could only pray to Luna it wasn't anything bad.

The fact that it was just my friends, and my uncle, eased the tension of the situation a little for me, I was around people I knew I could trust, even with my life if it came to it.

And now, I found myself pacing.

Michael, Luke, Remy, Nathan, and Tom, all sat in various places around the living room, mostly in silence as they waited, all of which were surprised when I passed on Kaden's message.

But I didn't have time to ponder on that, too many questions were running through my mind, and I had no answers to them, if I asked, would he tell me?

My wolf was torn, he wanted to get to his mate so badly, but things only seemed to get more complicated the more time went on.

We didn't know what to do, I'd never felt so powerless before, and that was something I couldn't admit to anyone, I'm the Alpha, I'm the one who is supposed to be in control, yet here I was feeling utterly useless, waiting for my mate to make the first move so I know where I stand.

This is the power your mate holds over you, and there was no real escaping that.

The sound of a car pulling up outside caught my attention, pulling me to a stop, my eyes flickered to the door in an instant, the anxiety only building in my chest as I tried to calm my restless wolf.

A knock on the door echoed loudly around the room, the clock on the wall telling the time as 8PM, the ticking sound only seemed to mock me, but still, I swallowed down and forced my legs to move me towards the door.

He wasn't here, I couldn't feel him, only the presence of four people stood outside the door, which was proven correct when the door swung open to reveal Adrian, Zach, Cameron and Gabriel, all looking far too serious for my liking.

They joined us in the living room, greeting everyone is their usual friendly manner, Adrian was right, it was almost like when we met up to hang out, only the atmosphere was too tense to trick myself into believing it was a friendly meeting.

"Where's Kaden?" I asked, refusing to let on just how hard my heart was beating.

"He isn't here?" Adrian asked, glancing at the clock on the wall in surprise.

"Hmm, it's not like him to be late to this kind of thing, not that we've ever been in a situation like this, but you get what I mean," Adrian continued with a grin.

"Can you contact him, make sure everything's okay?" I kept a straight face, my body rigid, not liking his words.

Adrian's grin morphed into a kind smile, taking me by complete surprise, but it didn't help me to relax.

"Kaden's strong, he'll be fine, probably just caught up with work as usual," he reassured, taking a seat on one of the couches and pulling Zach into his lap.

"What is his job exactly?" Michael asked, clearly having just as many questions as the rest of us.

Adrian cringed. "I'm sorry, but I think it's best I don't answer any questions until Kaden gets here."

"Is he in charge of you guys or something?" Nathan asked next, making Adrian frown.

"Any questions you have about us should really be directed at Kaden," he pursed his lips.