Chapter Twenty-Three

-Adam's POV-

"Kaden." His name all but whispered past my lips, failing to sound as loud or as confident as I wanted it to.

I gave myself a moment, happy to be left alone with my mate, but I was sure Adrian would check up on us at some point.

A sigh slowly left my lips as my hand tightened its grip on Kaden's. I watched as I intertwined our fingers, my thumb slowly caressing the soft skin on the side of his hand.

"Kaden." The word came out clearer this time, echoing off the walls around me but he didn't stir.

He looked tired, even in his peaceful slumber, his skin was pale and still cold to the touch. I hated seeing him like this, missed the colour of his eyes, and the teasing smirk on his lips he seemed to preserve just for me.

"Wake up," I tried. A poor attempt, but I didn't know what to say, again I found myself feeling helpless and I hated it.

"I feel helpless," I confessed, for some reason it felt okay to be completely honest with him, whether it be because it was him, or because he was unconscious-I didn't know.

"I'm scared. I'm not sure if scared is the right word, anxious maybe, I'm not the only one. I don't know what your plan is, but I find myself trusting you blindly, although I wish you would tell me, maybe I could help. Maybe then I wouldn't feel so helpless. My wolf doesn't like it, we like to be in charge I guess..."

That was the understatement of the century, I was used to being in charge, and it got to the point where it brought me comfort.

I sighed quite loudly, finally letting my eyes scan the room. It looked more like an infirmary than a bedroom, and I quickly decided that's where we were.

The bed Kaden was laying on looked comfortable, though only big enough for one person. There was a desk covered in documents, and weirdly shaped bottles of different colours. There was a sofa and a few chairs scattered around the room, along with a treatment bench.

Multiple shelves hung from the walls, covered in books and succulents. The walls were a warm sunset colour, and to the left of me was a window, the curtains were closed so I couldn't see outside, the inside of the room illuminated by the overhead lights instead.

It was daytime, was it not? Shouldn't they have opened the curtains? I would have done so myself, but I didn't know the rules of being here just yet, nobody was supposed to know of my presence just yet, so maybe it was best I kept the curtains closed for now.

Finally, my eyes found my mate again, sleeping peacefully in the bed to my right. I still held his hand in mine but there was no movement from him, not a twitch of a finger, or a flutter of eyes, nothing.

He looked pale and tired, yet so, so, perfect. His brown hair was flattened against the top of his head, with unruly strands sticking up here and there, it was getting longer, slowly creeping down his forehead, threatening to fall in front of his eyes, but it suited him well, I wanted to run my fingers through it, feel the strands of hair slipping through my fingers, but I didn't.

A loose shirt covered his chest, it looked good on him, it looked comfortable, and thoughts flooded my mind of slowly pushing the shirt up over his stomach, my hands trailing along his skin as it slowly became visible to me.

"You're so beautiful," I whispered.

I was mesmerised by the sight of him, unable to look away. How did I ever get so lucky?

The door opened then, slowly pulling me from my trance, I didn't have the strength to pull my hand away from Kaden's, but I managed to pull my eyes away for the moment.