Chapter Twenty-Six

Happy Halloween! 🎃

-Adrian's POV-

I leant against the cold metal bars, wondering if it would be crossing the line to go into the cell or not, it didn't look like Jacob was planning on trying to escape anytime soon, but I also knew Kaden would not be happy to know I'd been in there.

So, I remained in this uncomfortable position, waiting awkwardly for the boy to start talking. I vaguely remembered him from when he used to hang around the burnout, but years had gone by since then.

"No offence, Jacob, but it's getting pretty late, and we don't have a lot of time..." I tried to hurry him along without being too obvious about it, but he just sighed for the umpteenth time.

"I didn't think you would get here until tomorrow," he finally said.

"Does it matter whether you talk now or tomorrow?" It's not like he was going anywhere in that time, prolonging the inevitable would just be pointless.

"I just haven't had time to sort my thoughts out."

"Okay, how about this; I ask you questions, and you answer them." I smiled, swinging slightly on the bars.

"Can we not just do this tomorrow? I'm...really tired." He was fidgeting and avoiding my eyes, and I couldn't help the growing suspicion on the guy.

"Well unless you've got somewhere you need to be early in the morning...which I'm gonna go ahead and say that you don't, then you can spare an hour in your-oh so busy-schedule."

"What do you want to know?" He finally grumbled. Oh, thank God, we're finally getting somewhere. Kaden usually likes to start things off pretty easily.

"Who is Amelia and what does she want with us?" The slow approach wasn't really my style though.

"She's the future Queen of Galtolga."

I choked. "I'm sorry, WHAT?!"

Jacob stared blankly at me while my brain had a full-on meltdown.

"You do realise the title of King or Queen needs to be earned, and not taken. Even if Amelia wanted the title, she isn't worthy of it, she's done nothing but cause trouble for us." She was planning on trying to kill Kaden?!

"You're wrong, she's only ever helped, she took me and the others away from the burnout, she helped Cameron-"

"She traumatised Cameron! She tricked him into our world before he was ready! Hell, she was the reason he had to fight, that weighed heavy on him for months!"

"He saved your life!"

"Wh-how do you know about that?"

Jacob avoided my eyes again, favouring looking at the floor instead, from where he sat on the edge of the bed.

"You do realise you are aiding in the act of treason, right?!"

"No, no, no! You're mistaken! Amelia isn't gonna kill the King, she just plans to marry him."

My mind blanked as I slowly sank to the floor, my side pressed into the metal bars painfully, but I ignored it.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

"And why would the King agree to marry Amelia?" I asked, trying to make some sense out of the nonsense he was speaking.

"Because she is his Keeper." My eyes snapped to the boy again, who seemed to genuinely believe the words he was saying.

"She told you that?"

"Of course."

"I see."

I couldn't exactly tell him that Amelia was lying to him because Kaden has already found his Keeper, and instead of them being a petite girl with brown curly hair, but instead an Alpha werewolf who stood just as strong and tall as our King. Speaking of which, I really needed to talk to Kaden.