Chapter Four

-Kaden's POV-

"I think you've found your keeper."

I blinked back, speechless.

"I... uh..." Damn it, I shook my head, I can't appear weakened by this new information and I definitely wasn't one to stutter, but John just smiled as he pretended to not notice.

"You think?" I settled on, none of the other questions managing to form on my tongue.

"Well, I wouldn't want to be wrong if for some reason this was being caused by something else, but I'm fairly certain, there's a book you can read on it actually. See most people recognise their keepers straight away and the following signs kick in, as well as others, and of course with cases like Cameron and Gabriel, or any other problem, such as your guard, can all be involved with feeling this way."

John rambled on as he searched through his desk, but I was still too stunned to comment, did I believe him? I didn't know.

I suppose I had no reason not to, as I said before I never doubted the man, and my parents had always sworn by him, that gave me all the confidence I needed to believe what he was saying.

But...there was just one, tiny little problem, one that I didn't want to admit to.

I was...scared.

It was something I would never admit aloud, or to anyone else, but in the silence of my own mind, it tumbled around, looking for a way out, I didn't want to feel this way and that just made me feel worse.

John presented me with quite a big, hardback book, which had clearly been well loved over time.

"You can borrow it if you like." He smiled softly, and I hesitantly took the book, my eyes falling onto the cover with a pained look I quickly hid.

I knew the book too well, my mother owned a copy and when I was a child, I was fascinated with it, insisting my mother read it to me when she had a moment to spare, I realise now how hard that must have been, because this wasn't a story book that could be easily read, cover to cover.

No, this was an informative book on everything you could possibly want to know about keepers of the soul.

The front cover was orange and purple, two hands intertwined together, a red string connecting from pinkie to pinkie. The title, white in colour with a romantic font, clear words reading; the book on keepers, simple really, but it was a really popular book, one that many people cherished.

I guess it has helped its fair share of people over the years, and many people swore by it because of that, but again I didn't know what to say, and I found myself feeling rather embarrassed, so I took the book and rose from my seat with a small nod.

John got the message and didn't speak as I walked towards the door.

"Thank you for your services, John, if there's anything you ever need, please don't hesitate to ask." I sent him a small smile, hoping he'd understand that I didn't want to talk about it right at this moment, actually the idea of being alone suddenly seemed like a great idea.

"Any time, Kaden, I'm glad to be of service, I hope you get to feeling better," John smiled with a bow of his head as I closed the door behind me, taking in a deep breathe when the cool air hit my face.

I didn't allow my mind to wander, making a beeline as casually as I possibly could back to my office, and with only a few greetings here and there, I sighed in relief when my back finally pressed against the inside of my closed door in my office.

Only then did I finally let my mind wander, and oh boy did it, a million and one thoughts went through my mind as I placed the book down onto my desk.

I stared at it briefly, all too familiar with its contents, yet I had to be sure.