Chapter Thirty-Eight

-Kaden's POV-

"Sorry the weekend hasn't gone the way we planned, love. I was looking forward to getting to know more about your role as Alpha," I admitted.

Adam stepped towards me, a smile on his face and in his eyes. "You still will, Angel. But for now, I think this is more important anyway. We're so close, why stop now?"

I nodded; he was right. Only four more left to do, but I was yet to figure out what was meant by the end of a king. It was the hopeful side of me that was telling me it was referring to the old king, and not me.

Which holds the question; how does the end of a king fall upon a man who was already dead? Maybe his memory? I couldn't see how I could bury that though, that man brought both trauma and blessings to many people, both of which were hard things to forget.

Traces of the man lay everywhere you looked in Galtolga, and these things would only ever fade with time. Something, that we did not have.

I was currently at the pack house with Adam, our friends had long since gone home, but a heavy feeling lay present in my chest.

Something was wrong.

"How can you tell?" Adam asked.

"It's a sense of mine, though it only works when the danger is related to Galtolga or my people," I explained, though that only worried me more. "Of course, it would work with you too but that is the only exception as far as I am aware."

"So, what should we do?"

First things first, I checked in with my guards at home, there were no reports from Galtolga, but I had them keep an eye on things and send some scouts out to check the areas, just in case. Then, I checked in with Adrian and Cameron, but only got a response from Adrian.

A loud crack of thunder echoed around the house, dragging our attentions to the nearby window. I noted the lack of rain.

"Jupiter?" Adam asked.

"Maybe, but there's no rain. We should probably check it out anyway," I frowned.

I tried to contact Gabriel, since I couldn't get through to Cameron, but again, there was no response. I didn't let myself worry just yet, knowing they could be...well...busy.

Adam walked towards the front door of the pack house and I quickly joined him. I was on high alert right now, so had no intensions of leaving him alone or letting him out of my sight. Overprotective maybe, but I wasn't willing to risk it.

He opened the door, but before he could step outside, my hand fell onto his shoulder, pulling him back. "Wait!"

"Can you see that?" I asked him. He reached his hand out and again, I stopped him. "Don't touch it, we don't know who made it."

"Is it a shield?" He questioned, but thankfully, didn't try to touch it again.

"Looks like it, some shields work more like a forcefield and can be protected."

"As in it could be electrocuted or something to keep us from trying to break it?"

"Electrocution would be a quite forgiving option, but essentially, yes. I can find out if it is protected but it could take some time," I sighed.

"Sooo, we're trapped in here?"

Shit...

"You should probably send a warning out to your pack, just in case," I told him.

I created a portal through to Galtolga but when I stepped through it, I entered straight back through to the living room of the pack house.

"That was freaky," Adam commented, a frown settling onto his face. "What is Jupiter playing at?"