Chapter Twenty-Four

-Kaden's POV-

"I will gladly fight beside you, Angel."

I couldn't ignore the way my heart beat louder and faster against my chest at his words.

"Angel?" I had never been given a pet name before, mostly because I had never been in a relationship, but nobody even dared to call me anything other than Kaden, Sir, or Your Majesty, though honestly, I didn't like the last one much.

He smirked, meeting my eyes in a silent challenge that had me swallowing down in anticipation.

"Does it bother you? It seemed fitting with the positioning of the light right now and your golden eyes, you really do look ethereal, Kaden."

I didn't hate it, though I had a feeling if anyone else called me that I would, but with Adam it seemed okay.

"Maybe I could get used to it," I mumbled, lost in my own thoughts but I caught the smirk that graced his lips from the corner of my eyes, dragging my attention back to where he sat.

"Don't make me regret saying that," I teased, watching as his smirk only grew.

"I wasn't sure you were even aware you said that out loud."

"I may be disorientated but I'm still aware of when I'm thinking something or actually saying it." I was actually very good at keeping my thoughts to myself, after all, it was practically needed for my job.

"The things I would do just to get a glimpse inside that head of yours." His smirk had settled more into a smile. He was analysing me, trying to read into something, anything.

"It's funny to think I could make that come true by just bedding you," I joked, pleased at the laugh that filled my ears.

He leaned closer and the mood in the room shifted, his lips parted, and I eagerly awaited his next words. However, I never got to hear them.

Adrian barged into the room in that moment, and he did not look too pretty. His hair stuck up at all angles, he was breathing heavily, and his knees barely carried him into the room, he looked damn right exhausted.

"Sir! Oh, thank God, you're awake. I honestly wasn't sure how much longer I'd be able to do this for, I really don't give you enough credit. Like seriously, how on Earth do you do this everyday?!"

"Adrian."

"I mean, I've barely had time to breathe, and even though Zach has been helping me where he can, I feel like my whole system is just shutting down, my brain is holding way too much information right now, and this can't be healthy."

"Adrian."

"And the reports keep coming in, everyone seems to need something-"

"Okay, Adrian!" I had to snap him out of it, it was very rare I had to use my 'King voice' on Adrian, but by the sounds of it the last few hours or so hadn't been easy on him. Now that I think about it, I didn't actually know how long I had been asleep for, I was almost scared to ask.

"Sorry, Sir. I'm a little out of it right now." He bowed his head, then remained silent, waiting for me to speak.

"It is okay, Adrian. I am sorry to have put so much pressure on you, but now I am awake, I can help."

I went to get out of bed, my body felt very stiff from laying in bed for so long, so it would be good to stretch properly.

"No, you should rest," Adam sounded worried, and then I noticed them both looking at me in worry, neither of them clearly happy about me rushing back into things, but Adrian very clearly needed my help.