Chapter Eight

-Adam's POV-

Kaden slid open the glass doors, stepping outside. I went to follow after him, knowing that being out there alone may not be safe, but before I could even take a couple of steps, Michael's hand fell firmly onto my shoulder and the glass doors slid shut.

I turned to my beta with a raised eyebrow, wondering why he had stopped me, but the look I was met with had me stopping in my tracks as I let him speak, Luke watching us curiously.

"I had to try," he said, sounding both concerned and confused.

"What do you mean?" I questioned, trying to understand what he was getting at.

"With Kaden," he hissed, glancing at the table where they had previously had their arm-wrestling match.

"Calm down," I commanded, he looked like he was about to start pacing and I sighed aloud. "What do you mean you had to try?"

It didn't bother me that Kaden wanted to arm wrestle Michael, they were just messing around anyway, and I knew Michael wouldn't use his full strength against a human.

Michael sighed, running a hand through his hair, before he looked me dead in the eyes.

"I had to try; I think...I think he let me win," he said, horrified.

"You're losing it, man," Luke laughed, but Michael seemed anything but amused.

"Are you trying to tell me, you think he's stronger than you?" I asked, raising an eyebrow in amusement.

"I'm serious!" He stressed. "I should have easily won that, but I had to actually use my strength, and I could feel his grip weaken as I pushed his arm down to the table, I'm not fucking crazy."

"Alright, calm down, we believe you, but what are you implying exactly?" I asked, I had no reason not to believe my beta, but what he seemed to be implying would be damn near impossible.

"I... I don't know..." Even he couldn't say it, knowing how ridiculous it would sound.

"Don't worry about it, man. I'm gonna check on him," I sighed, squeezing his shoulder, in what I hoped would be a reassuring manner.

It was probably nothing, but I'll bear it in mind anyway, even if to just bring Michael some peace.

I opened the sliding doors, stepping out into the cool air. Kaden stood leaning against the wall with his eyes closed, but when he heard my presence, his eyes fluttered open.

I closed the door behind me but didn't say anything as I leant on the wall beside him, letting my eyes roam over the trees, feeling myself relax when it was clear, nobody was nearby.

Kaden watched me for a moment before letting his eyes fall closed again, I liked how I could make him relax around me, it brought me a sense of satisfaction and peace.

It was clear that he was once again lost in thought, so I remained silent as I just let myself enjoy the closeness.

How do I talk to you?

How do I become close to you?

I didn't understand, what was it about Kaden that made it so hard for me? He never seemed to have a problem, yet he didn't see me the way I saw him, how could he?

"Everything okay?" His voice cut through my thoughts.

"I was going to ask you that," I smiled, finally turning to look at him once again, God, he was so beautiful.

"I am okay, it was just getting a bit warm in there," he spoke so formal, completely different to his friends, I let his words sink in, nodding my head slowly.