Chapter 223: Downfall

-----NO ONE'S POV -----

"N-Naruto?"

He approached the table, marching towards (Y/N) with vigor in his step and his blue eyes locked on to hers.

"You. Did. What?!"

"Naruto, I-"

His squinting eyes made her pipe down. Naruto has never been mad at her like this so seeing him looks down at her with a scowl made her lose track of her words.

"It's not her fault." Gray butted in.

Naruto slammed the bowls on the desk spilling a few drops. Turning to Gray.

"Shut up. I didn't ask you."

He turned back to his sister, demanding an explanation.

"I-I tried to tell you but Pain flung me away before I had the chance."

"I want to know how? How could you let something big like that let lose?!"

"You could have been taken away! I wasn't going to let that happen!"

"So you placed the village, our friends lives on the line?"

...

Naruto shook his head ran his hands through his hair.

"You saw what he did to Lord Fukasaku... I just.. I just thought we needed that push to get the upper hand."

"So you would sacrifice a thousand bodies for the sake of one?"

...

"w-when you put it like that..." she looked down at her hands like a scolded child.

Meanwhile Naruto paced around the room barely holding himself in.

Seeing him like this already tore heart. Especially this conversation.

"... Please don't be mad.." she spoke in a soft pleading voice.

He had his back to her, he sighed.

"I'm not mad."

She slowly looked up, like a glimmer of hope only to his gaze over his shoulder.

"Just disappointed."

He walked towards the exit but before he left he said,

"Making me worry.. Using the tailed beast.. Risking the village... I can't believe the Hokage would do something so careless."

And he left with a flap in the wind leaving (y/n) to contemplate what he said.

She stared at the two bowls on her desk. Her eyes swelling up.

Gray cautiously approached her, sitting on the floor just beside her leg.

"He's right.. What was I thinking?"

Her eyes trailed off to the Hokage outfit that was neatly folded on the table at the side.

"I'm not fit to be Hokage..."

She crawled down, off the chair and sat under her desk with her legs tucked into her chest.

Gray crawled poking his head to take a closer look at her.

No he wasn't sure on how to help her in a situation like this but he hated seeing her cry and all torn apart.

"Hey.."

She didn't reply.

"Sure you aren't fit to be the Hokage but remember, once Lady Tsunade wakes up you'll be free. This job is crappy anyway."