Chapter Four: That Time in Lampang

Once the new week hit, and the new school year had begun, Yuth traveled to Lampang in place of his sister. There was a small building the company owned, one story, and an empty office for Yuth to work out of. At lunch time he walked around and looked in shops for presents for Rune and visited the food stalls for homemade goodness.

He stayed in a hotel, but easily got bored. There was always the nightlife, but after Moon had left him in Bangkok he didn't really feel up to going to clubs.

On his first night in Lampang he roamed a busy street, watching people laughing with their friends or families. He watched kids run past him, still in their school uniforms, holding candies and treats.

The company had a scholarship program, and one of the tasks Yuth had acquired from his sister was checking on the students who were granted them. He just had to make sure they were keeping good grades and taking necessary classes, but his sister also liked to make sure they were deserving of it. She would stalk them around and see what they were up to, so Yuth decided to do the same.

There were two students in Lampang. In his sister's notes, the first was Paitoon Chanthotwong. She wrote that he was a sweet kid who worked hard and always had high grades, and also helped his mother at her food stall. She wrote down directions to the stall, as it was in a busy market, so there he was on a Monday as the sun was setting.

As Yuth's eyes shifted to the food stalls, someone caught his attention. A certain black-haired boy with a cap on, to be specific. He couldn't believe his eyes. Moon was working at the busy stall, turning meat on the pit, laughing and talking with customers. Paitoon was Moon.

"Pao. This is where you've been."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Throughout the rest of week, Yuth visited the food stall everyday at lunch while the boy was at school. He made sure to talk to Moon's mother, Chompoo, and they began to form a small mother-son-like bond. That Friday was no different.

Yuth had a customer take a picture of him and Pink on his polaroid camera. He fanned it while waiting for his food.

Sunday was Yuth's last day there, and he wanted to speak to Moon before then. However, Moon left him a week ago at the hotel without a word. Yuth wasn't sure if he could take the rejection face to face. He decided that he would visit Lampang another time, and maybe let the boy see him and come to him instead of the other way around.

Chompoo, or 'Pink' set down a plate and drink in front of Yuth at the stall. "It's on me today."

"Piiinnnkkk," Yuth whined. "Let me pay, I'm a customer."

"You've bought so much food the past week for your employees, I'm grateful. Take my offer."

"Fine. But I'm paying double next time I visit." Yuth pulled the meat off the skewer and began to eat. "Pink. Can I ask you a question?"

"Chew your food, then ask."

Yuth gulped fast and took a sip of water before smiling. "How do you know if you're serious about someone?"

Pink stopped what she was doing, then smiled as she cleaned some bowls. "Mmm. As in love? You've never felt it?"

"Well, I'm not sure if that's what it is yet. Have you been in love?"

"Of course. I believe everyone has to fall in love at least once in their lifetime. If you haven't felt it, then are you really living?"

"I mean, I love my favorite k-pop idol. Does that count?"

"Oi!" Pink laughed, then came to the counter and rested on her elbows. "That's a bit out of your league." Pink laughed, then continued. "When it's love is when you've got an undeniable bond, even if you don't say anything. You feel at peace just being with them. Or afterwards you can't stop thinking of them. Did they eat? Are they well rested? How can you help them to become their best selves? You should know them on a deeper level to love truly. And you'll love everything about them. Their flaws, their quirks, everything."

"I must be infatuated then." He hung his head and bit his bottom lip nervously.

"Is it someone you've met?" Yuth nodded, not wanting to tell her that it was her own son. "What do you like about them?"

"Everything. Everything that I've seen. He's sweet and has family values, and I know that he'd care about me if we were together. He has these cheeks that-" Yuth paused, realizing that he said 'he' and wasn't sure how Pink would respond. He looked up at her, but she was still smiling, bigger than before.

"He?" Yuth nodded slowly, a smile creeping back up on his face. "You like my Moon, don't you?"

Yuth froze, looking up at her in shock. "How did you-"

"I'm not dumb, Yuth. Anyone with eyes could tell. I can see you watching the stall every night."

Yuth gulped, afraid that she had told Moon. "Why didn't you say anything before? I've been looking stupid then..."

"No, I think it's sweet. You should talk to him."

"I don't know..." Yuth didn't want to tell her about their night in Bangkok. "I'm...bad with rejection."

"I'm his mother. I know him best right now." She stood up and her smile began to fade slowly. "He's had it rough with love lately." Yuth didn't know what she meant by that, but he wanted to. "I think you'd be good for him."

"Maybe this weekend I can-"

"Tonight. You should come back tonight."

"Okay. It's a plan."