Chapter Thirty-One: Why Did You Leave Me?

**Sensitive topics/death/suicide mentioned/mourning**

Chatri made it out with injuries, but Yuth wasn’t so lucky.

Moon had been through it before. This time was harder, because it just added to the list of people he had lost. It had been weeks since he had a normal day. His tears finally dried up and he just felt…numb.

He didn’t want to leave Yuth's room, and would only come out to take care of Rune. He sympathized with the boy, who had lost his mother and uncle in the span of about two years. Kiet and Kusa helped a lot with Rune, too, and often stayed over.

Moon would sleep with Yuth's clothes and look through pictures every night. He would dream about Yuth often, only to wake up and cry because of the empty spot next to him. An empty spot had also formed in his heart.

While going through drawers of Yuth's things, he came across a lot he didn’t know about. Like a gun.

Moon would never use it on himself. He still had people to live for, but it was tempting some days. He thought about how his mother and Yuth would probably scold him for thinking such things.

He found Yuth's polaroid collection. The newest ones featured Moon, and Rune, and all three of them together. As he ventured farther back in the book he found pictures of Chimlin and Rune, to Rune as a baby. As he held the book, a picture fell out.

As he reached down to pick it up, he realized it was of the two people he missed the most. His mother and Yuth.  The date written was the day he was hospitalized.

He whimpered, trying not to cry but the tears had already swelled up in his eyes. “What did you do to deserve this?” The two most caring people he had ever met didn’t deserve to die. He was over the denial and anger, but the sadness was consuming him.

“Why did you have to leave me like this?” He held the picture to his heart and fell to the ground on his knees.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Everyone tried to spend as much time with Moon as possible, because they didn’t know what he was capable of. He needed all of the love and support they could give.

Weeks after the accident, it was Nin's day to have lunch with Moon. He would barely eat, and usually only drank coffee to keep him physically going. Even that didn’t appetize him, though.

“How have you been?”

Nin forced a straight smile. “I'm fine. How are you?” She was worried about her old friend. She didn’t like seeing him go through these things.

“I’m fine.”

She knew he wasn’t. It was easy to see. “Moon…I’m really sorry.”

“Nin, it's okay. Really. I’m fine.”

“No. I’m sorry for being like that back then…” She paused and took a deep breath. “I've been hearing things at the precinct…about Yuth.”

“They found who did it?” Moon was listening.

“Not just that…but people have been talking about Somchair.”

“Yuth’s godfather?”

She nodded, deciding that it was time she revealed the truth. “They say that he had Yuth killed. They say that he had the whole family killed…”

Moon's heart sank to the floor.

“I know it’s not set in stone, but these rumors picked up after Yuth's accident. Our chief is friends with Somchair so some officers think it’s a cover-up.”

As Moon listened, the sadness that he was overwhelmed with quickly turned into anger. He stood up suddenly. “I’m sorry, I have to go.”

As he began walking, Nin stood up. “Moon wait!” He was too far to hear her anymore. “I'm sorry…”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Moon kissed Rune's forehead as he left the house. “Where are you going?”

“Just to get something really quick. I’ll be back, I promise.”

He left the house, with Rune in the care of Kusa.