Chapter Sixteen: The Most Dangerous Game

Moon had never felt more safe in the Bunchuai house. It took him no time to go back to sleep once he hit the bed in his temporary room.

He slept soundly, no nightmares, just peace and quiet. But something woke him at 1am. He rose up, questioning what the noise was. It was a muffled noise, but it was loud enough for him to hear it. The sound had only rung out once, so he went to inspect.

Yuth was deep in his sleep.

He had just stepped out for a few minutes to grab something to eat for him and his sister.

"Sir, it's not safe. Stand back!" They pushed him off but he kept trying to get past them.

Yuth shot up, breathing heavily, drenched in a cold sweat. He had to relive that event almost every night.

Moon rounded a corner, but then retreated behind it once he saw Yuth peeking in Rune's bedroom. He quietly closed the door and headed to the kitchen. Moon noticed that he was dressed in all black, with shoes on, so he must've been going somewhere.

The boy made a decision at the last second. He wanted to know what Yuth was up to. What secrets was he keeping?

Yuth grabbed his black cap and black mask before getting into his crossover. Unbeknownst to him, Moon was hiding in the very back, under a large blanket next to a duffel bag full of Rune's soccer gear. The boy smiled at the thought of Yuth being a "soccer dad."

He stayed quiet as Yuth drove down the bumpy road, trying not to groan from the pain it caused his side. He didn't think things through carefully enough. He didn't even know where Yuth was headed.

It seemed like forever until the vehicle rolled to a stop, while Moon tried not to roll with the movement. He didn't move a muscle until he heard Yuth get out and close the door, locking him inside. He finally uncovered himself and poked his head up to see just over the back seat to the front windshield.

They were in the city, at some random four way intersection. One corner had a sign that read 'Anurak Fabric' but Yuth was going to the convenience store diagonal from it.

Moon watched as the man went in and grabbed junk food, licking his lips at the sight of it. He wanted a midnight snack badly, but he would have to wait. Moon watched Yuth joke and laugh with the cashier. He hadn't seen that big of a smile from his boss before, a genuine smile.

Yuth sat outside at a table and ate his food while taking in the cool night air. He was interrupted rudely by an obnoxious customer in the store. The enraged man was yelling at Rodger the cashier. Rodger had accidentally gotten the man's shoe wet with a mop.

"These are limited edition! And they were spotless before I came in here! How are you going to clean them?" Rodger looked at the man's expensive white sneakers in despair.

"I'm so sorry! Let me help you." He reached for some paper towels and tried to blot the stains, only making it spread.

The rude guy pulled his foot back, quickly coming back and kicking the cashier down. "Don't touch me!"

Before he could grab Rodger and toss him around some more, Yuth grabbed his jacket and pulled him outside quickly, tossing him to the ground. "What the fuck?!"

Once Yuth took off his cap the guy freaked out. Yuth squatted down to his level. "Still not behaving, I see."

"M...Mr. Bunchuai..." He could only say that much, because in the next second Yuth was on top of him, punching until he thought the man couldn't take anymore.

Moon didn't know entirely what was happening, but chills raced up his spine at the graphic scene that he was watching. Mr. Yuth was much more capable than he had thought. It was for a good reason, but he was taking things too far.

Yuth was already angry at Sakda, and he was taking it out on the rich snob who would've beaten up Rodger with no warning. Until someone grabbed his arm, stopping him from swinging.

He turned around to see Rodger, pleading with his eyes. This frail twig of a man who would've been hurt was stopping the beating. "Rodger..."

"It's okay, boy." The older man helped him up as the rich man turned on his side, then took off.

"I'm watching you!" Yuth yelled after him, hoping he heard and remembered what Yuth warned about before.

"I have a button for the police, Yuth."

"He would've hurt you before you could get to it."

"You need to stop going around doing these things."

Yuth picked up his cap and fit it back on his head. "If I don't, people like him will get away with much worse."

"If you won't listen to me, then at least be careful."

"I always am."

Yuth threw his trash before heading back to his car, where Moon had to hide again. The boy kept quiet and waited to see where they would stop next, but when he peeked under the blanket he realized they were back at Yuth's house.

He waited until he heard Yuth get out, close the vehicle door, then open and close the door to the house. It was surely safe to get out by then.

But he was wrong.

As soon as he lifted the blanket all at once, the trunk door was lifting and behind it stood Yuth.

He was on his knees, frozen in front of his suspecting boss, not sure what to say. There was no excuse for his sneakiness.

"Find what you were looking for?"

"Mmmmm...well..."

Yuth started walking away, but Moon wanted to explain or even just talk. "Wait!" He hopped out and closed the trunk by himself before turning to Yuth, who was at the door. The boy gulped before proceeding. "Were you in Lampang a year ago?"

"If I say yes?" Yuth turned to face the curious boy.

"I'll believe you."

"If I say no?"

"I'll believe you, too." Moon just wanted answers, and he wanted to trust Yuth. He would ask questions, then figure everything out later.

"I was."

Moon wasn't sure how to go on with the questions, but Yuth was waiting.

"Why don't you ask me what you really want to know?"

"I..."

"Did I kill my sister?" Yuth erased the space between them, causing Moon to back up into the car. His boss' face inches away from his own, staring him down.

"That's not..."

"I didn't. Do you still believe me?"

Moon looked Yuth in the eyes. His deep brown eyes. The eyes that told him the truth and pleaded for him to realize that. "I do."

With a blink, Yuth was turning away and headed inside, but Moon stopped him again.

"What are you doing?"

The older one stopped at the door, then turned halfway. "What?"

"What are you doing out on the streets beating people up? Or going to look for victims of Sakda? You even paid for their lawyer and you have them all in a safe place. What exactly are you doing out there?" Moon wasn't stupid. He was trying to put the pieces together.

"You wouldn't be ready even if I told you." Yuth tried to go in the house one more time, but was stopped once again.

"Try me."

With that, Yuth turned around and pulled Moon to the wall, pinning his arms against it with his hands. Moon was shocked, but deep down trusted Yuth with his life. "You like games, right?"

Moon nodded, unsure of where the conversation was heading.

"This is the most dangerous game."

Moon couldn't look away from Yuth's eyes. He gulped, not sure what he was getting himself into. "Can I play, too?"