Chapter Thirty-Three: Am I Dead?

**TW: violence/guns/blood**

Somchair laughed as he wiped the spit from his face. "How sweet. Using your last words on me."

He lowered his gun to Moon's chest and the boy took it as an opportunity to save himself. He grabbed the gun from the top and pushed it down, then tried to twist it out of the old man's hands, but it wouldn't budge.

"You think you can win against me?" Somchair lifted the gun as hard as he could, but Moon was pushing it away as hard as he could. It inched closer and closer to the boy.

Suddenly, they heard the jiggling of the doorknob to the office. Moon pushed the gun once more while the man was distracted, but Somchair brought it back and with both of their hands on it, the gun went off.

"Put your hands up! Now!" Nin barged into the office with Yuth, Chatri and Kiet behind her. She aimed her gun at Somchair's back.

Somchair turned around slowly, and dropped the gun. "Officer, I-"

"Get down on your knees!"

As the old man lowered, they realized Moon was behind him, against the wall. His head was lifted up as he was panting. Yuth rushed over to the boy and hugged him tightly and Moon leaned on him with all his weight. "Moon!"

Moon was in shock, and couldn't feel the full effect of the pain that was on his body. He was just getting dizzier. He almost thought he was dreaming. Or that he had already passed on. "Hia?"

"It's me. I'm here." Yuth leaned back to look at Moon, but soon realized that the boy didn't look so good. "Moon?" The boy's eyes were having a hard time staying open.

Yuth noticed a wet feeling on his chest and looked down to realize there was blood on his shirt, but it wasn't his. He looked at Moon's shoulder to see the cause. The boy had a hole in his shirt. A small blood stain was growing by the second.

Yuth pressed on the wound to stop the bleeding as Nin handcuffed Somchair and Kiet called an ambulance.

"I got it." Moon took labored breaths as Yuth held him in his arms.

"Moon, don't talk. Just rest. We'll get you to a hospital." Yuth wrapped his arm around the boy's waist and helped him out of the office. Yuth was frantic, and trying not to cry.

The ambulance pulled up to the front of the building right as they made it there. Yuth rode with the boy, holding his free hand.

Moon reached into the pocket on his shirt, and then handed Yuth a small recorder. "I got it." He mumbled under the oxygen mask, but Yuth could hear what he said.

The man looked at it, then back at Moon. The boy was drifting in and out of consciousness. "It's okay. It's going to be okay. I'm here now."

The last thing he saw was Yuth, and that's all he could ask for.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Moon's eyes fluttered open and he found himself in a dim hospital room, slightly elevated in a bed. To his right was Yuth, who was looking at the ground in tears. "Are you really here? Or am I dead?"

Yuth quickly leaned over to Moon. He let himself smile a little. "Stop it, I'm here."

"Where did you go?" Moon remembered the two months that he had to mourn Yuth, and his eyes began overflowing with tears. He tried to smile, because he was so happy that Yuth was really there, but his frown wouldn't let him, and his mouth downturned. "I missed you."

"I'm sorry." Yuth clenched his jaw and his tears began to fall. "I didn't mean to leave. I'm back now...for good."

"Did I do good?"

Yuth had already given the recording to the police, who had arrested Somchair immediately. There was no covering it up anymore after he had shot Moon.

Yuth stroked Moon's head gently. "You did so good, Pao. But don't do that again. I don't think I could take it."

Moon nodded, and couldn't hold back the whimpers as he cried. "I thought you were gone."

Yuth cried, too, at the thought of how Moon felt without him. "I know. I'm so sorry." He kissed the boy's forehead, then held him tightly. "I won't go anywhere again. I promise."

"I didn't get to tell you that I remember you."

Yuth pulled himself back, confused. "What do you mean?"

"When we took that trip to Pattaya City, I got my memories back. I remembered you. I didn't tell you because I was afraid you only liked me out of pity."

"Pity?" Yuth was shocked. Hs didn't realize the boy was holding in so much.

"I left you my number the morning I left, but you never texted or called. You didn't show any interest in me until after I got hurt."

Yuth scoffed. "Number? What number?"

"I left it on the bed, on your pillow."

Yuth smiled, then let out a small laugh. "I didn't see it. Trust me, I would've called you immediately. I liked you from the beginning."

"Really?"

"Yes." Yuth nodded and kissed the boy.

"What did you like about me?"

"Mmmmm. Probably those cheeks." He squeezed at Moon's cheeks lightly and the boy swatted at him with his free hand.

"I'm serious," he laughed, slightly forgetting about the pain he was in.

"I'm serious, too. I couldn't resist you, Pao."