Chapter 40

The following day, Malaysia kept thinking about what Steven was saying to her. She realized that he was actually done with her so it was no used her holding on to her feelings for him.

Malaysia picked a book up with affirmations for each day. As she started to read the one for tonight, someone called her. It was Malik.

Malaysia answers it.

"Hello?", she asked.

"Hey, what's up?", he asked.

"Nothing. Just reading", said Malaysia.

"That's what's. Look I just called to tell you that I'm going to have to go back home earlier than expected. Something is happening with the company and I gotta call in a meeting", said Malik.

"Damn. Well I guess you can call me whenever you make it home...so I know you got there okay", said Malaysia.

"Yea I can do that...but I do wanna say this before I leave...I think that maybe you should work things out with Steven", said Malik.

"What?", asked Malaysia.

"I know what he did and I know it isn't justifiable but hear me out.", said Malik. "He came to talk to me and—"

"Did he threaten you?", asked Malaysia.

"Nah none of that. He came to me with maturity. Something I wasn't expecting", said Malik. "But I think that you guys should work something out."

"I tried that. But continued to cheat on me", said Malaysia.

"That's why I said I know what he did wasn't justifiable but... maybe it was for a reason. If it's anything I learned from my parents is that marriages sometimes reaches a point where nobody is on the same page because something happened between one another for someone to loose focus. I don't know if that makes sense. How about I say it like this...you said you had your flaws right?"

"Yes", said Malaysia."I...well to be honest I didn't know what I wanted. It was this back forth things between one another...but really it was me doing the back and forth because I ran away whenever I was scared."

"There you go. The relationship probably didn't feel stable to him because he didn't know the next time you'd turn his back on him. There was no stability therefore there was no relationship", said Malik. "It wasn't good but You can't blame him for cheating"

"...I see where you're coming from", said Malaysia.

"The thing about marriages is that if there is no foundation..no strong foundation...it won't last.", said Malik.

Malaysia didn't say anything.

"If you love him and if you think that things could change, go for it. Relationships have their ups and downs, nobody is perfect but it's the love keeps you together.", said Malik.

"He broke my heart", said Malaysia.

"And he seems really sorry about it", said Malik. "I think that you guys should talk about it some more"

"You know, for someone who wants me sure isn't acting like it", said Malaysia.

"The heart wants what the  heart wants and your heart wants him. Not me", said Malik.

"...you're a nice guy, Malik. I see why you said you haven't found the one because you deserve the best", said Malaysia. "I'm not the girl you're looking for. Maybe years ago but not now."

"Yea but you were the friend I want so...let's continue to be friends", said Malik.

"Yea...I like that", said Malaysia.

Suddenly, someone knocked at the door.

"I'll talk to you when you get home", said Malaysia.

"Okay. Talk to you later", he said. "Bye"

"Bye", said Malaysia.

Malaysia hangs the phone up and opened the door. It was Steven.

"Hey..can I come in?", he said.

"Sure", said Malaysia. "Everything okay?"

"Nah", said Steven.

Steven walked into the house.

Malaysia shut the door behind them.

"What's wrong?", she asked.

"I- I don't know what to do", said Steven. "Everytime I try to do something right I lose somebody. My mom, my best friend, my dad, you, king, Sierra... what the fuck is wrong with me?"

"Nothing", said Malaysia.

"So why do I feel like I'm alone?", asked Steven.

Malaysia looked down.

"I apologize for cheating on you... I told you my reason and they weren't good enough excuses and I'm sorry", said Steven. "I do love and I do care about you. I just didn't wanna be hurt again. I was in dark place after you left. I was scared that I'd be alone again."

Malaysia looked at him.

"I know you don't feel the same way about me anymore because you moved on with that island boy", said Steven.

"You mean Malik?", she asked.

"Whatever his name is. I don't care", said Steven.

"I'm not dating him", said Malaysia.

"You had sex with him", said Steven.

"Because I thought that it'll make me feel better as in getting over you but it didn't", said Malaysia.

Steven sits back.

"Not I

"Is there...is there any possibility that we could start over? From the beginning? As you know I'm doing things different. I'm living this "normal" life now. Just running my businesses, nothing else. No violence, no killing, no drugs...just peace. Speaking of peace...what are you doing for a living anyway?", he asked.

"Nothing yet...I've been using the money I've accumulated over the years", said Malaysia.

Steven nods. "But um...what do you say? Let's try this again?", he asked.

"...yea but not now", she said. "Let's start by doing something that we never were. Friends"

"Friends?", he asked.

"I just think that maybe it could make our relationship stronger", said Malaysia. "It will build a better foundation if we decided to give us another shot. This means no kissing, no sex, just hanging out"

"If that's what it takes", said Steven as he stood up.

"So...are you going to introduce yourself?", asked Malaysia.

"Really? Now you doing too much", said Steven.

"If we're going to start over we gotta do it for real", said Malaysia with a chuckle.

"Alright, alright", said Steven. "Hey how you doing? My name is Steven?"

"Just Steven? No nickname?", she asked.

"I used to have one but that was the old me. I'm doing things different now", said Steven.

Malaysia nods. "I'm Malaysia but I'm not interested in dating right now", said Malaysia.

"I was actually going to ask you about being friends", said Steven.

"Friends? Wow that's usually. Never heard that one before", said Malaysia.

Steven chuckled.

"Alright that's enough", Steven said with a smile. "Go get King and let's get something to eat."

Malaysia starts laughing.

"Okay", she said before walking upstairs.

TO BE CONTINUED...