Chapter 28

"If I was a man,
                    then I'd be the man."

Sighing, Jade opened the fridge, feeling the cool breeze hit her square in the face. Scott hadn't actually got Allison's necklace, so now he was at the school still trying to figure out whatever he was meant to. Long story short, it had kind of been a waste of time. Hey, at least she would get her steps for the day in.

Jumping up onto a kitchen counter, she ate a yoghurt. Swinging her legs, she wondered what she could do to help. Scott was sorting out the necklace and Max and Stiles were doing God knows what with their plan for Derek. She hated just sitting around, doing nothing. Feeling useless. Like a sitting duck, just waiting for the next bad thing to strike and have the upper hand.

On the bright side, she had a lacrosse match to go watch soon. Deciding that she didn't want to wait any longer she sent messages to multiple people.

One went to Lydia and Allison. Another got sent to Scott, asking if he had had any luck with the necklace. A fourth and fifth message was sent to Max and Stiles, asking what their plan was and how it was going. Another message got fired into the supernatural groupchat. A final message was also sent to Derek, even though it was a long shot.

Feeling accomplished, she put her phone onto the table in front of her. With her head in her hands, she stared desperately at her phone, willing the screen to light up, for someone to answer.

After five minutes of silence, her phone buzzed against the surface, sending vibrations down the marble. She checked who the message was from, raising a brow when it was the person she had least expected.

Sour wolf: Yes they are with me, why?

Jade: Do none of them know how to answer phones? Where are you guys?

Sour wolf: Apparently not. Meet us at the hospital?

Jade: Why????

Biting her nails, she waited impatiently for an answer. After around a minute or two, she knew it would be a long shot if she got a reply. Christ, why did he always stop a conversation halfway through? Grabbing her bag and car keys, she scribbled a quick note for Melissa explaining that she was going out and would see her later.

One thing that wasn't needed was the woman sending out a search party because her family hadn't arrived home.

                                            ~

Pulling up into the parking lot of Beacon Hills hospital, Jade skipped towards the all too familiar blue jeep. Apparently the vehicle was becoming the new Bat mobile.

"How's it going?" she questioned, jumping in the passenger seat of the car. She had to duck down quickly, narrowly missing getting hit in the face with a water bottle. "What the hell!"

"Sorry, you scared the hell out of me," Max replied, clutching at his chest. Fucking jump scares. Real life seemed to be even worse than horror movies lately.

"What?" Derek asked, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Jade only now realised that he was on the phone, the mouth piece held up to his ear.

"Who's he talking to?" Jade mouth to her brother, resting an arm on the dashboard as she sat with a leg hung over the armrest.

"Stiles," he mouthed back.

Grabbing the phone out of the man's hand, she put it on speaker, wanting to know what was going on. Snatching it back, Derek listened intently to what Stiles was saying on the other side of the line, his forehead creased in concentration lines. "He's not here. He's gone," Stiles commented, his voice slightly muffled on the other end.