Chapter 91

"What am I supposed to do?
                           If there's no you?"

Jade stared back at her empty reflection in the mirror alongside her wardrobe. She was wearing a long, black dress paired with some black heels. Her hair was brushed back behind her ears, not staying in place no matter how much hairspray she put in. It was the day of Allison's funeral and she wasn't ready for this. Not in the slightest. She had thought about just avoiding it completely and not going, but she would have never been able to forgive herself.

The three days following Allison's death had been the worst to get through. One of them was taken up by having to go and kill the nogitsune, only to be met with even more hardship when Aiden Steiner had died at the hands of the oni.

The other two had merged together into one big blur and remembering details was becoming increasingly difficult. It had consisted of not moving from her bed, binging on food, a lot of silent crying which then turned into numbness, no sleep and just overall something she wanted to forget.

But today she had dragged herself out of bed and threw on her clothes that had been ready since last night. So here she was, staring herself down in the mirror for the twentieth time in the last hour, trying to stall for time. To avoid going to the graveyard. To avoid making her speech. To avoid having to bury her best friend six feet below in the ground. To avoid having to say goodbye. To avoid the Argent's house. To avoid all of it. Every single last detail.

The presence of someone watching her made her cast a glance behind her shoulder. Scott was standing in the doorway, his hands dug into his pockets. His eyes were puffy and he was wearing his best suit that had been ironed out the previous evening. "We have to go in a sec. You ready for this?"

"No," Jade groaned, her eyes finding his as she turned around. She sat down on the edge of her bed, Scott sitting beside her. To say her room was messy would be an understatement. She had always been a neat freak, but it was currently the opposite right now. Turned upside down, exactly like her life.

There was plates, cups, wrappers and cartons strung around the room in various places, her duvet had fell off her bed and she hadn't had the energy to pick it up. You could barely see the floor, let alone walk in there without stepping on something.

She didn't care anymore. She didn't want to die, she just didn't necessarily want to live. She just wanted to sleep and never wake up. Sure, that sounded a lot like dying, but that's not what she meant. She was just really, really tired.

Sighing, she turned to face him. She started to fix his tie that looked like it had been put on by a toddler. How come the majority of girls knew how to do a tie, but the majority of boys didn't? It was baffling to her.

"Thanks," he mumbled, feeling the heat rush to his face. God, he couldn't even do one simple task like fix a tie, so how did people expect him to save everyone? To be an alpha? He stood up tall, looking in the mirror and adjusting his suit. Reaching his hand out to the blonde, she begrudgingly let herself be dragged into the car downstairs, but not before grabbing the paper that was lying on the kitchen table.

The car ride over to the graveyard was quiet, the traffic quite busy for a Friday morning. Melissa and Max kept on attempting to make small talk, but it seemed that Jade and Scott didn't appreciate their efforts. All they wanted was for this to be over. The twenty minute drive seemed to fly by and before they knew it, they were there.

Jade felt her hands begin to shake as she walked towards the plot at the back of the graveyard. She could make out small blobs and shapes that faintly resembled people. It was like a sea of darkness, everyone dressed head to toe in black.