Chapter 100

"I'll never love a boy,
                          the way I love the
                                     ocean."

"How come I know how to replace a tyre and it still won't fucking work," Max hissed, a wrench held in his teeth as Lydia knelt beside him with her head tilted. The sun was starting to set, the yellows in the sky blending in with the colour of the sand and dust.

"Probably because you're turning it clockwise, when you're meant to turn it anti-clockwise," Lydia groaned, only now realising what they had been doing wrong for the past forty minutes. At least they weren't the only ones running behind schedule, considering Stiles didn't even have a clue what had happened to his jeep.

"You might want to hurry up," Malia came running towards the two teenagers, repeating the same warning that she had told the others. She looked around anxiously, a shiver travelling down her spine. "There's something out here with us."

Max paused, hoping she didn't mean what he thought she meant. Their list of priorities and responsibilities were so high right now that he would have to be a giraffe to see the end of it. What they didn't need was to be attacked by another supernatural creature, that would no doubt try and kill them. They had enough of that back in Beacon Hills. "Please tell me you mean there's a cute, cuddly kitten out here with us?" He rolled his eyes, nodding when he got his answer. That was just fucking fantastic.

The sun was non-existent now, the moon taking it's place in the sky and shining down with a bright white hue. The trees cast their own dark shadows on the ground, giving off a slightly eery vibe. Every branch that broke or rustle of wind made the group tense up, terrified they were going to be stabbed by a man with swords for arms. Their broken down cars made the situation a lot more urgent, given the fact that they were practically stranded, defenceless in the middle of an unknown area.

"You have got to be kidding me!" Lydia hissed, hitting her hands against the wheel. She pressed on the accelerator again, listening to the concerning hum that was coming from the engine. They had finally gotten the spare tire on, but their new problem was whatever was wrong with the car now. At this point, she was debating just leaving it here and hitching a ride from whoever's car got fixed first. Then again, Jade would probably be out for blood when she found out.

"I actually think the world's out to get us," Max sighed, shaking his head up at the sky. Seriously? Was this the universe punishing them for his parent's mistakes? Because it wasn't exactly very morally correct if that was the case. He covered his eyes, squinting into the distance when a bright light illuminated his way. Kira was standing with her katana in hand, using the metal to reflect off the headlights of Stiles' jeep and act as another flashlight.

A growl echoed throughout the empty road, a figure running past him and off into the distance. He shouted after Malia, the girl easily being recognised by outfit, consisting of a lavender shirt and ripped shorts. He shoved the wrench into Lydia's outstretched hands, pulling a gun out of his belt and trying not to lose sight of his friend in the distance. "I'll be back, just try and fix that, okay?"

Before the girl even had to time to protest, he was off in a sprint down the road, dust flying up and hitting him in the face as he ran. He rounded the nearest corner, the one he thought he had seen Malia and Kira disappear down. Holding his gun out in front of him, he tried to walk on the heels of his feet, hoping to make as little noise as possible.

He spun around on his heels, hearing a twig snap behind him. His lips were in danger of disappearing, thanks to how tightly he had them clamped closed, barely daring to breathe. He turned around again, his finger on the trigger before he let it fall limply to his side. "What the fuck! You gave me a heart attack."