Chapter 55

"Slipping through my fingers."

Max bit the bullet, knowing it was best to do this sooner rather than later. Looking for Cora and Boyd could wait a few minutes. This was more important. He grew more anxious at every ring that it took for her to answer the phone.

Hello?

"Hi, is this Serena?"

It is, who's this? Sorry, I just got a new phone recently so I don't have most of my contacts

Christ, this was going to hurt. Here she was laughing and he had to break the worst news to her. "It's okay. This is Max, I'm Erica's friend. I was the one with her when she facetimed you. Also, this is random but are you driving?"

Oh, Max! Hey! How are you? No, I'm at home. Is everything okay? Is there any news about Erica?

"Um- yeah. Yeah, there is."

Hello? Are you still there? Is something wrong?

"Yeah, I'm still here. I'm really so, so sorry to have to tell you this, especially over the phone. Uh. Um- today the police found Erica's body." Strangled sobs and strings of words were leaving Serena's mouth on the other end of the phone. He swallowed the lump in his throat, his voice breaking as he continued. "She's dead Serena, I'm so sorry."

What happened? God, why is this happening?

"They're still not sure what her cause of death was. I'm so incredibly sorry."

                                       ~

"This doesn't make any sense," Derek said. They'd just received a very concerning call from Stiles who was with Lydia.

"When does anything ever make sense?" Max sarcastically remarked. When did anything ever go right in this stupid town?

"The public pool is all the way on the other side of the woods. We haven't tracked them anywhere near there! How are they moving so fast?" Derek continued, ignoring the fact that Scott was talking over him. "They can't be that fast on foot!"

"They killed someone!" Scott said firmly. "Some totally innocent kid is dead. And it's our fault."

They were quiet, no one knowing what to say. It was their fault. How come they couldn't save anyone? It felt as if the second something was going good, it all slipped away. Like sand slipping through your hands.

"It's my fault," Derek sighed.

"We need help."

"We have Isaac and Max now."

"I mean real help." He ignored the offended looks on the two boys faces. How dare he. They were real help! "They're too fast for us, for all of us. They're too strong, too rabid."

"We'll catch them."

"What happens if we do?" Isaac asked. "We gonna just hold them down until the sun comes up?"

"Maybe it would be easier just to kill them," Derek admitted.

"God, are you stupid! You are not killing two of my best friends! Do you not think we have enough murders and killings happening in this town without you going and adding to the pile?" Jade exclaimed, her eyes glowing purple in anger. The forest seemed to make her eyes illuminate around the place.

"She's right. Killing them isn't the right thing to do," Scott added, placing a hand on Jade's shoulder, as if telling her to calm down.

"But what if it's the only thing to do?" Isaac asked. He wasn't exactly fond of killing Boyd- he couldn't speak on Cora, as he'd never met the girl. But what if it was the only option? Many more people would die if they didn't do something. "If we can't even catch them, what else do we do?"