Chapter 98

"Sometimes I wish I
could take a new form,
Switch out some parts
and become like the norm."

Jade grimaced, grabbing Kira by the arm and fighting her way through the hundreds of sweaty bodies in the enclosed space. If you had told her that she would be visiting Mexico on the hunt for Derek Hale, only three days after Christmas- well, she would have believed you, actually. It wouldn't have been the most farfetched thing to happen and considering that was the situation they were currently in, it was obviously believable.

Quick, up-beat songs were blasting through speakers that were strung up near the DJ, bright lights blaring down from the ceiling while people jumped up and down in time with the music. She stood up on her tippy toes, trying to see a way to the bar while also trying not to lose Kira. To be fair, the plan was to blend in, and the best way to do that was by drinking. It seemed to be what most of the people here were doing, whether they were underage or not.

"Two gin and tonics, please," she smiled at the waiter, brushing her hair back and taking a seat at the bar. She widened her eyes at Kira, who looked like a fish out of water in the new and unfamiliar setting. "Just act confident," she whispered, gently kicking the girl in the shin in reassurance.

The man placed the drinks in front of the pair, impatiently waiting for the cash to be handed to him. Snatching it out of her hands, he stormed off to serve a young couple on the other side without another word.

"Ignorant cow," Jade muttered under her breath, bringing the glass up to her lips and feeling her breath catch in her throat. It probably would have been a good idea to actually like the drink she had ordered, especially giving the price she had just paid for it.

"What are we meant to be doing? Where's Max or... or Malia or Scott? Any of them?" Kira squeaked, sipping the alcohol through a straw. Her batons sat uncomfortably on the inside of her leather jacket, tucked in there for safe keeping and easy access. She couldn't bring her katana into the rave, given that it would look out of place strapped over her shoulder. It had been left in the jeep and she could only hope it would be safe there.

"Max and Malia are dancing right there and Scott is on the other side," Jade responded casually, lazily gesturing a hand as she spoke. There was a whole group of them who had came on the hunt to find Derek, but they had gotten separated coming inside the place.

Lydia and Stiles had went to negotiate with Araya Calavera, the hunter who they assumed had taken the missing Hale. Meanwhile, the other five supernaturals were blending in, trying not to look suspicious while they waited for their next move. She was hoping it would be an easy job; Araya would take the money, they would get Derek and then they could head home with no trouble at all. But knowing how this all worked, it was wishful thinking.

"So, you're an alcoholic and were in rehab?" Malia bluntly asked, moving her shoulders in time with the music.

"Recovering. But yeah," Max replied, trying to let his body flow with the beat. God, he was almost as bad as Stiles when it came to dancing. He wasn't light on his feet, that much was sure. In fact, he more so resembled an elephant in a stampede, but he wasn't standing out too much, which was the main goal.

He had only came back from rehab on Christmas Eve and to say he was thankful to be home was an understatement. Of course, he had missed alcohol and was still craving it like mad, but it wasn't as bad as the first few days. God, the withdrawal symptoms for the first week were almost unbearable. But he got through it and came out the other side with a more helpful mindset. There was some coping tools that he had in place now, as well as meetings to go to when he was in a bad place.