Chapter 29

"Cause boys don't cry."

"What does that do?" Lydia asked nervously, hugging her arms towards her body.

"It's a bow and arrow, Lyds, so I think you can connect the dots," Jade replied, sarcasm lightly lacing her tone. The strawberry blonde shot her a mocking glare, nudging her bony elbow into her ribs.

Allison ignored the girls' comments, shooting the arrow into a tree in front of her. It landed in the middle with a bang, followed by a cloud of white smoke. She lowered her bow in amazement and bewilderment, a small smirk on her face. She didn't know that was going to happen.

"What the hell was that?" Lydia questioned, her eyes wide in fear.

"I don't know," Allison shrugged. She genuinely didn't know. She had found it when she was sifting through the things in her garage, and had just thought it was a normal bow and arrow. Honestly, she had just wanted to practice her archery and perhaps better some of her skills.

"Well, that was fun!" Lydia clapped her gloved hands together, rolling her shoulders. "Any more lethal weapons you want to try out?"

The sound of a twig snapping not too far away cut their conversation short. The three girls spun around on their heels, looking for the source of the noise. Jade felt her heartbeat getting faster as she tried to control her magic that was begging to be released. Was it the Alpha? Was he really going to try and kill them in broad daylight? But there was no one else in the woods, so it would be a perfect plan.

Allison slowly stepped forward, handing her bow behind her to Lydia. "Hold this."

"What, why?"

"Because I thought I heard something."

"So, what if you heard something?"

"I want to find out what that something is. Don't worry it's probably nothing," Allison replied, heading further into the forest. Even though her sentence hadn't made much sense, the bottom line was that she wanted to know what was out there.

Jade grabbed the brunettes arm, shaking her head. Was she insane? In what world did it make sense to head towards the noise? Did no one ever watch horror movies?

"I'll be fine! I'll be right back," Allison insisted. She carefully released her jacket from the girls grasp, beginning to head towards the forest again.

"Well, what if that nothing is something and that something is something dangerous?" Lydia squeaked, her eyes wide. What if that something was the wol- the mountain lion that had attacked her the other day in the video store? What if it was coming back to finish the job off?

"You have Jade. She'll protect you," Allison shouted behind her. "And if that doesn't work..." she paused for a second. "Shoot it."

Okay, so maybe Jade did have to be concerned about Allison being a hunter. But then again, it might have just been a joke. It had sounded like a joke. Hadn't it? It only took a few seconds for Allison to disappear amongst the trees and then they were left alone.

                                     ~

Jade pulled up into the driveway of the McCall house. After the encounter in the woods, Allison had only been gone for a few minutes. By the rosy look and the smile that had been on her face, she could assume that it had been Scott who was following them. The group had then went shopping and after that the blonde dropped the other two girls home.

Yanking down on the door handle with all her might, it didn't budge. Someone must have locked it. Turning on the flashlight on her phone, she fumbled around for her keys in her bag.