Chapter 25 - A Jealous Fiance (2)

In an instance, Lacias's beautiful smile had vanished and he was no longer cupping his face with a cheerful attitude. He turned around as if to hide his frown and the air that had once been comfortable turned tense and cramped.

Why is he suddenly acting like this, was it something I said?

Lila pushed her teacup forward a bit and tilted her head a bit to check on Lacias's state. At that moment he turned around and a look of irritation was clearly visible on his face.

"Who did you give them to? I don't remember receiving them." His tone was icy, yet Lila remained unperturbed.

She pondered for a minute over why she had to make pastries for Lacias before giving a response. "Do you like sweets?"

"I would be crazy about anything you give me."

Lila simply thought that Lacias had a sweet tooth. So she continued with the topic that she came in to give. Heheld her hand tightly as she picked up the contract again.

"I haven't received an answer."

"For what?"

"Cookies, macarons, and madeleines."

"What do you mean?"

"I asked who you had given them to."

Lila answered like he was asking a trivial question without any regard to Laciac's knowledge about her life. "I gave them to Hir, because he likes sweets."

Lacias's irritation could be noticed from a mile away. "Hir, I haven't heard of him before." He couldn't help but immediately get to the point of his questioning.. "Who is he?"

Lila was bewildered. She had no idea what got into him. "Hir is my son."

"Oh, your son... Wait, you have a son?"

"Yes I have a son and he will be yours too soon."

Lacias rubbed his face with his hands and laughed at his foolish point of view. After finishing his expression was replaced with a more calm one.

"Yes, yes, right. You said you have a stepson, I remember now."

"That is so. How about talking about the contract now?"

"All right. All right let's get on with your contract then."

Lacias was clearly a complicated person to handle. One second he would be frustrated and the next his docile self would be back as if nothing had happened. He was more of a handful than she'd expected.

The contract was simple, Lila's only condition would be to offer for Lacias to adopt Hir and consider him his own. While Lacias's conditions would be a contracted marriage for a period of time and retrieving his mines from Hiln. That is that assuming that everything goes according to plan. Lila has already seen some changes from the original novel and she didn't know if anything else would change.

I have to meet Senior Hiln soon.

Lila touched the small card inside her bosom as she read the article.

"If you want to add anything more you're free to do so." Said Lila touching her lip cautiously.

The contract had been written on parchment as a temporary measure in case Lacias wanted anything changed or added. So Lila had purposefully left space on the parchment in case of Lacias wanting a change. The official contract of course had to be rewritten on an official document so that it would be accepted.

Lacias picked up the pen and put it on the side "I have nothing to add."

"What?" She looked down at the empty space that she was expecting to be filled

"Read it properly. You can't take back a contract after it's signed."

"I know that very well, don't worry. Hmm, How about extending the contract to a hundred years?" Lacias seemed to really desire nothing as he was speaking nonsense. Lila seemed quite relieved that Lacias was more than willing to take this contract up. She expected it to be a bothersome chore but it turned out it was really a walk in the park.

She looked down at the signed paper then looked back at Lacias. "Do I need to do anything else?"

"Of course, there is."

Lacias's smile was slanted as he put forth a piece of paper as if he had been waiting for this moment.

"I filled in our marriage registration since you seemed busy. You only need to sign."

"Huh?"

Lila confirmed the form with an astonished expression, the document really was proof for their marriage.

"I did well, right?"

Lila's expression was subtly rigid as she looked at the puppy-like man sitting before her waiting for a pat on his head.

"Do we need to register this with the Empire? We would need to file a divorce after a year, and the procedure is quite complicated."

"No, this is something we must do."

"We should also think about the future. While this is my second marriage, your grace would face the disgrace of a divorce."

Lacias ignored Lila's words and held his pen. "I'll add to the contract that we have to announce our marriage to the Empire at all circumstances officially."

Lacias actually wrote on the parchment, and beautiful letters were left on the document.

It's no use if he's that adamant. Lila was about to sign with a pen when she heard the office door open with a bang.

"Lacias!"

A splendidly beautiful woman with slight signs of age came in without asking to enter.

"Lacias! Yo- you're going to marry!"

Lacias nodded like he was not surprised at all. "Yes That is true."

Lila realized who it was immediately. Standing before her was the Duchess Camerline Wipere, also known as Lacias's mother.