Chapter 69 - A Parent's Distress

Lila's face was pale as she hurried towards Hir's room with Lacias right on her heels. The doctor scrambled to the door and immediately pulled it open, Lila zooming past him while calling for the boy's name.

"Hir!"

Just like what the maid said, Hir was indeed awake. He was sitting on the edge of the bed with his head buried in his knees.

Seeing Hir on such a state made her even more anxious than she already was, her mind jumbling into a frenzied mess as she stared at his form. This was the first time she saw him awake since he lost consciousness. Lila took a few more steps until she stood right in front of him.

Looking at Hir closely, she noticed the slight tremors all over his body. She reached out for him and placed her hand on his neck, feeling him shaking under her touch. His skin was cold and clammy with sweat, and Hir visibly flinched upon contact. Lila pulled her hand back and leaned closer to him. "Hir, are you in pain? Why are you shaking?" She asked worriedly.

"I-I'm sorry.. I made a mistake." Hir muffled against his knees.

Lila barely heard him. "What?"

"I'm not in pain. I'm alright." Hir said in a steady yet still, quiet voice.

The way Hir was being almost made Lila think that he went back to the way he was before. Lila looked at Lacias, unsure what to do and Lacias tilted his head as he addressed the boy. "Hir, come to your senses."

Hir raised his head from his knees, and his eyes grew wide after realizing that another person was in the room with them. He was completely oblivious of Lacias' presence, and he was looking at him like he would a stranger.

"Who are you..?" Hir asked in a curious tone, and Lila's face dropped instantly.

*

"Are you telling me that Hir lost his memories because of shock?" Lila kneaded her forehead and a loud sigh escaped her lips. She was lost in her own thoughts, staring at the floor as she processed what just happened.

"It's only a temporary memory lost, and it seems to me that he lost his memories after being shocked at what he saw. You don't have to worry since his memories will surely return soon." The doctor explained.

"Oh.." Lila hummed quietly, still at edge.

The doctor had diagnosed Hir with temporary memory loss after Lila called him to the manor for the second time.

The distress was evident on Lila's face, and Lacias rubbed her shoulder soothingly in assurance. "He said that his memories would return soon. We just have to wait for a little bit, okay? Nothing could go wrong."

According to the doctor, it will only take a few days until his memories would come surging back, but Lila was still tense as ever, also thinking that it was stupid of her to assume that Hir opened himself up to her.

Hir was ecstatic when he ate the food she prepared for him and to show her his gratitude, he gave her a flower crown in return. She even thought that maybe Hir finally regarded her as his mother. What Madame Marshmell did in the past slipped from Lila's mind.

Her mind was clear as she regained her bearings. She was aware of what Madame Marshmell had done before, and it was clear that she rushed things too quickly. Her yearning to be close to Hir made her forget all about it. She looked over Lacias with a crestfallen gaze, thinking that she had been too careless when everything went by so smoothly.

She was just like the person in the original work, the one who would bring Hir to Lacias once the year-long marriage contract ended.

Sensing her uneasiness, Lacias spoke in a soft voice. "Don't worry too much." His hands were still comforting atop her shoulders, and she saw him looking at her with eyes filled with concern.

'I should prepare myself.' Lila thought, thinking that she would leave him one day and attachments were nothing but unnecessary. Her head was swimming with thoughts, closing her eyes as she reminded herself to think rationally from now on.

*

Hir came back to his usual self after a few days, unaware of the time when he lost his memories. Lila decided to keep it to herself, not wanting him to give something to worry about. She took a series of deep breaths as the recent events took a toll on her.

"Hello, Countess. Is there something bothering you?" Senior Hiln spoke suddenly, making Lila snap out of her reverie.

Lila smiled sheepishly. "Why are you calling me that? I'm not married yet, so you can call me Lila."

"Well, it seems like you're pretty distracted." Senior replied, combing her orange tresses and smiled back. "Sullenness does not suit you at all."

Lila stared at her and before she could speak, Senior added, "So what is it that's troubling you? I have never seen a bride-to-be's face so sullen." There was an insinuation behind her words.

Lila quickly dismissed the idea. "It's not that.."

"Come on now, sharing your burdens will make it more bearable. Tell me, did you and Count Wipere argue recently? Is that even possible? From what I hear, he would do absolutely anything for you."

Lila chuckled at the thought, the idea of them arguing seemed absurd even in her own ears.

It will never happen because he was just a person she had a business deal with, a marriage contract, not someone she must love with her whole heart. However, how come his mere presence makes her heart beat so rapidly?

With this, Lila found herself straightening her back as she responded, "It's my son. He was sick a few days ago. I'm just worried that there may be side effects."

Senior nodded in understanding. "Oh, I do remember you have a stepson. It really sure is worrying."

"Yes, the doctor said that there's nothing I should be troubled about, but I can't help it, you know?"

"Any parent feels the same way. Your child would go out to play and you're still going to be sick with worry. It's natural."

Please read this TL's note:

Rings are form of energies. It comes in different forms for each character, others may take creative forms such as butterfly. It's called a Ring as it comes from the hand literally. Inexperienced ring users uses pistol to summon their rings. The more experienced they are, the more rings they are able to produce.

Shadows are people who uses distorted rings which are called "Holes." Rings such as these are colorless. They attach to other people's rings and sap its energy to gain power.