Chapter 179 - In Plain Sight (2)

"Is that so?" Lacias answered for the first time. The man became more audacious and patted Lacias on the shoulder. He spoke with a grin on his face.

"Yes. I saw it with my two eyes. I couldn't take my eyes off the Duchess because she was so beautiful! I watched the two of you with jealousy from the start till the end of the wedding. And her beautiful eyes were always looking at you-... ."

"I don't think so." Interrupted Lacias.

".....Huh?" The man's eyes widened at his firm voice.

Lacias slapped the hand off his shoulder as if brushing off the dust. The man's hand slipped away helplessly.

"It is true that she is beautiful because I also can't take my eyes off her even though I see her all the time."

"Yes, that's what I said too." The man responded, trying to regain his confidence.

"But I can't believe that Lila was looking at me the whole time. I would have agreed if you said that my eyes were always on my wife, not her."

It turned out to be a lie that the man had been watching them throughout the entire wedding. The man coughed in awkwardness and tried to come up with another lie to make up for his mistake, but Lacias was quicker.

"It was nice that you told me my wishes. If you acted a bit smarter and didn't cross the line, I would have just let it slide."

"I... I mean....." His confidence was slipping.

"What is your name? I don't think you belong to any of the families on the invitation list. I am very curious as to whose invitation you got."

The young noble was no longer the talkative man he was a while ago. He stood there with his mouth shut as if he had forgotten how to speak.

"Lila put so much effort and time into this wedding, and I was pissed off because several things had gone wrong. But now I feel a little better since you voluntarily crawled up to me without having me find you."

"Sir, I, I do not understand what you mean...."

"Did you think your trick would work? Am I supposed to praise your self-confidence or...."

Lacias' azure eyes were cold. His eyes resembled the frozen surface of the sea in cold, icy winter.

"Your audacity to underestimate me?"

Lacias took out a hole that was secretly hidden between the fabric of his shoulder and held it between his index finger and thumb and shook it slowly. The man's face turned pale.

***

What's all the commotion?

While chatting with Camerline, a raucous noise continuously caught Lila's ears. Camerline, who was disturbed by the noise as well, turned to where it was coming from to find Lila staring at the same place.

"....Isn't that Lacias?" She didn't want to say his name so outwardly, but in the heat of the moment, it escaped her mouth. Surprised by herself, Lila bit her lips disappointingly.

Lila, who coughed in awkwardness, asked Camerline.

"It sounds a bit noisy over there. What's happening?" She asked Camerline with an awkward cough.

"I'm curious as well. What's he doing over there?"

"Shouldn't we go and check?" asked Lila expectantly.

"Will you?"

"Right, I'll go ."

After Lila left, Cameline pulled back the attention of the nobles by bringing up some new business matters; it worked as per usual.

The man in front of Lacias looked quite young. Lila was worried that Lacias' reputation would become even worse.

But it doesn't seem like something's happening...?

Although she was a bit far from Lacias, she could tell that he wasn't angry or annoyed by the man in front of him, instead, he had a friendly smile on his face.

But why does the person in front of him look so frightened? His face contradicts so much from Lacias.

"What's wrong?" asked Lila as she finally reached the duke.

Lacias smile broadened as his bride came to his side. "I was just counseling him and giving him some life advice. There's nothing for you to worry about, Lila."

"...Counseling?"

Lila turned to the man with eyes filled with doubt. The man in front of her did not appear to have received counseling. But when she saw that pretty face of Lacias again, she had no choice but to believe his words.

"Were you too honest with your words when advising him...? It looks like he's hurt because you spoke too frankly...."

"But isn't it better to be honest rather than letting him pursue an unrealistic dream?"

"That's true, but..."

"I thought it would be better to tell him the truth."

"I'm not trying to blame you or anything. I thought there was an argument between the two of you because I could hear noise all the way from there."

While listening to Lacias, Lila also studied the man's face.

As expected.

The man in the front had a shocked look on his face as if he had just heard something absurd.

Considering Lacias' character in the original novel, he was not the kind of person who would advise others for anything. His personality may have changed a little, but even so, there was no way his nature changed.

He's lying because he doesn't want to make me worry.

Lila slightly misunderstood his intention, but she knew that Lacias wasn't being honest with her.

"I still have some counseling to give, so please stay there with my mother. I'll be back soon."

"But try to speak more nicely. He's still young."

"Yes, I will."

Noticing the grin on his face, Lila looked away quickly after realizing that she had been staring for too long.

"Se- see you."

I think I stared at him for too long... Did he notice that?