Chapter 78 - For the Sweet Boy

Lila felt her ears turning red so she quickly tried to defuse her situation so that Lacias wouldn't ask her why.

I spoke too much.

Lila wondered whether she was allowed to feel such things when she would disappear within a year. She had been determined not to, but she could not control her feelings.

I am becoming too greedy. She thought to herself bluntly.

Lila wanted to stay a little close to Hir and become closer to Lacias despite knowing that she should not do so. She wanted Lacias to know what she meant despite her indirect words. It was all her greed, and Lila was embarrassed to have revealed her desire to Lacias, albeit in a roundabout way.

Lacias was silent, and Lila both hoped he would remain so or just speak anything at all.

The sound of the carriage riding over a stone broke the silence.

"I also thought the king was an idiot, but I would not want to go out a step if you had given the castle to me. I would be happy even if I could not live on chocolate." Lacias seemed to have been thinking about Lila's story, and his expression was soft. She was surprised at hearing that he had been thinking the same thing.

"The king would have been happy dying in chocolate if he loved it that much." added him with a smile.

Lila's heartbeat quicked at Lacias' deep voice. This didn't usually happen. She quickly grabbed her chest from how loud it felt.

He might hear it!

It wouldn't help her situation to show her feelings. She tried to think of tragic things that happened in the past, but Lacias spoke before they could take effect. "I don't think a chocolate castle would be good for you since it would mean that you would leave me behind."

"No, I wouldn't do that," Lila replied firmly. She imagined Lacias waiting for her outside the chocolate castle. She would go to him without hesitating. The carriage shook again, but the ride was not a bad one.

"How long do we have to go?"

"It's about time." Lacias looked outside after he opened the curtains. "We've arrived."

The carriage stopped at his words and Lacias jumped down before the coachman opened the door. He reached out his hand to Lila and she took it to get down carefully walking down the steps with his strong hand leading her.

*

"Oh, a boutique." She wasn't sure how to respond since she had just been at a similar store.

"Yes." He sounded quite proud.

Lila wondered whether he was about to give her a dress as a gift. If he truly wanted to do so, he could have just bought her one from the store they were just in. Besides she had too many of them already.

"Uh ... Don't worry, I already received a lot of dresses from your mother today."

He pulled her hand slightly towards the entrance. "You'll know when we go in."

Was there something special about the place? Lila entered with Lacias' escort, but the inside of the shop was nothing special. The interior was elegant, but it was about what you would expect from a boutique. She tried to piece together what brought him to get her here.

Well, he should have a reason.

Lila decided to wait, and Lacias spoke to the owner a bit who then brought an outfit from inside. The size was too small, and it was not for a woman.

"Is this Hir's?"

"Yes."

The outfit was tailor-made for Hir, it came with a white jacket and a blue bowtie. Lila could see him looking adorable in them from that moment. It was cute and luxurious at the same time, a deadly combination.

Lacias took a look at the outfit before turning back to Lila. "Our son needs to participate in the ceremony."

"I see."

She felt bad for not thinking about tailoring an outfit for Hir, yet at the same time, she felt glad that Lacias went out of his way to do something for her son.

"Thank you for thinking of him."

"You forget, he's my son as well."

"I should have brought him here, then you would have been able to see Hir's happy face."

"No, I want to be alone with you. That can happen later." He didn't even try to sugarcoat it. Lacias' refusal was adamant, despite having prepared his future stepson's outfit.

"It will be lovely on Hir, and he will love it."

Hir would think of this as a special gift, as Viscount Marshmell had not been interested in his son. She thought Hir would be ecstatic at realizing that this was a gift from Lacias.

The outfit was too cute, and she could not wait until she saw Hir wear this.

"We would need to have the ceremony sooner."

How did he read my mind?!

"You looked like you wanted him to wear it as soon as possible." He said casually as if reading her mind once more.

Lacias felt a sense of victory at her reaction. He thought he couldn't read her face, but when she was with Camerline, her face was ever so apparent to him. I must have gotten better at it, he thought to himself proudly.

"I can just have him wear it at home."

"My wife is practical." Lacias smiled as he asked the clothes to be wrapped up in an expensive box and with ribbons.

"Send it to the Marshmell Manor."

"Thank you, sir!" The owner bowed low, and Lila wondered how expensive the clothes were. Lacias approached Lila and spoke.

"If the outfit does not fit, tell me. I just made it with the size I estimated when I hugged him, so there may be a difference. We can come with Hir then."

"Won't it be a bother for you?"

"How can it be so when I can see you again?" Lacias' voice was sure and sincere.

"My true destination for us was not here, we just made a quick stop for the outfit."

"It is? Then I can't wait!" She exclaimed, following him outside the boutique.

Right as they had been about to ride back into the carriage Lila noticed someone heading towards them in her peripheral vision. Her eyes widened at the sight, she knew who it was instantly. Baron Doug Blake. Why was he on Wipere lands?

He could come, but Lila's suspicion made Doug an unpleasant presence. Blake had a different aura from before, and he seemed quite sure of himself now. Lacias tilted his head at Lila's gaze heading in a certain direction.

"What are you looking at?"