Chapter 156 - Family Necklace (2)

"It's so beautiful! Is this your ring, mother?"

Lila nodded, "Yes. Hizette told me you've been practicing with your ring lately. I wanted to give you this special gift, and I decided to give it to you after listening to Lacias' advice. I hope you like it."

"I like it so much! How can I not like it!" Hir said, his voice turning a pitch higher. "It looks similar to the jewelry you always wear around. Am I right?"

"Yes. Lacias gifted it to me."

Hir looked up, "So is this a family necklace?"

"Family necklace?" Lila repeated.

The term "family necklace" was just adorable. The necklace, which will be delivered to Lacias, was also being crafted at this very moment. So yes, it will be worn by the family. She carefully touched the necklace on her neck with her fingers.

"The one you have is very pretty, but I like mine even more!"

"Is that so?" Lila smiled.

"Yes. It looks like snow, just like what I read from fairytales."

"Do you like snow?"

"Yes! I didn't appreciate it at first, but... uhm... I began liking it when I thought it resembled mother...." His voice grew quiet.

"I see. Then maybe we should go and see snow next time. How's that sound?"

"Y-yes!' Hir nodded excitedly, almost bouncing on his seat. The excitement is evident in his face that Lila felt the need to fulfill the promise.

If time allows, she would.

Ahibalt Empire rarely has snow. So if she wanted Hir to see snow, they would have to go on a long trip to another country. Lila was growing increasingly worried because she didn't have much time left.

"Wear this all the time, okay? Even when you have swordsmanship classes. My rings will serve as your protection."

"Yes... Thank you so much. I will never take this off." Hir promised.

Lila's heart softened at the sincerity of the boy's words. She took the necklace off the box and placed it around Hir's neck. It was small and light, so it wouldn't be a bother when he trained. It looked like a normal necklace with a simple pendant.

"Wow..." Hir exclaimed. His eyes were transfixed at the fluttering ring for quite a while, finding it really magical.

"Hizette briefly told me about your ring training, but I want you to tell me all about it. How is it going?" Lila finally brought out what she's been meaning to ask, but Hir's face visibly dropped.

"It's... difficult at times. Sometimes I feel like I could do it but there are instances where I just get lost. I have never been successful in my attempts... Or perhaps I don't have the talent for it? I don't know. I heard many people aren't born with the ability to develop a ring." The insecurity was apparent in his voice.

"I'm sure you could do it, Hir." She said firmly. Having read that he was able to efficiently control his ring in the original novel was the reason why she could say it so confidently. "Just be patient. Take it slow and I know you'll be able to do it."

"Do you think so...?" Hir looked up at Lila.

"Of course. I can control my ring, and those who have the ability to control their rings could feel whether a person could control theirs or not. This is why Hizette is persistently training you." Lila explained.

Lila saying she could feel him having such ability was completely made up, but she said it so he'd try even harder since she was confident enough that he would be able to control his ring one day.

"Then I guess I should practice even more!" Hir exclaimed, clenching his small fists in resolve.

***

Time went by so fast. The day of the wedding that seemed to be far off at first was now approaching closer. Lila expressed her excitement as she read the card sent by the craftsman, one that informed her of his visit sometime during the day.

I wonder what it will look like. Lila wanted it to match or better yet, exceed Lacias' expectations.

Lila knew Lacias would be more than happy with anything she would give him, but she wanted to give him only the best. She carefully brushed the necklace Lacias gave her with her fingers, thinking that it still felt like she got the necklace yesterday. Time really does fly fast, especially when she's been so busy lately that she didn't realize she had very little time left.

Overwhelmed with the realization, she closed her eyes and tried to calm herself down, her finger sliding across the surface of her sphere-shaped pendant.

Beautiful.

The black ring that was rippling inside the pendant resembled Lacias, so much that anyone who saw it would instantly know that Lacias was the owner of the ring.

Maybe Hir would have a cute yellow ring resembling him.

The ring wasn't something that one was born with. Very few were born with it, but many people develop their rings much later on as long as they have the potential.

Just like Hizette.

In addition, the color and the number of rings one would have varied depending on a number of factors. In the original novel, Hir manifested a bluish-black ring, but in the current situation where Lila is trying her best to change Hir's fate, it's possible that Hir might manifest a light colored one.

If it really turns out to be yellow like a chick, then it will be so cute! Lila gushed at the thought.

But then Hir would be disappointed if the color turns out to be yellow. Would he pout his lips and mumble his disappointment? While Lila knew he would look adorable doing so, she didn't want Hir to be upset in any way.

When she heard that Hizette was going to teach him, she thought it wouldn't take him long but unfortunately, it's going much slower than she thought it would be.

She assumed that Hir will develop his ring before her wedding but he hasn't, not yet anyway. Hir must be ashamed of himself for not being able to, but he didn't give up because of Lila's ceaseless encouragement.

He also developed it much later in the original novel, but the circumstances were entirely different.

Although she had already told him what could be the reasons for the delay, deep down she felt that something was wrong. It's only a matter of time when Lacias and Hizette would notice it as well but then again, Hir clearly has the ability to develop one. If he didn't have any potential, he wouldn't have developed it in the original novel.

There's one thing that's been bothering Lila's mind. She recalled the day when she went on a picnic near the lake, and she found what happened rather strange.

"Hole addiction..."

She was told that Hir's strange behavior when he was on the small boat was caused by being transfixed at the hole. Could it be that Hir's ring manifestation was being blocked because of the fixation he once had, or did it possibly damage something inside his body? It also happened to Senior.

Since there were no studies regarding hole addiction yet, it was entirely impossible to specify anything. The Knights of Wipere tried to investigate it themselves but they still haven't made any significant progress nor did they provide any sufficient reports.