Chapter 169

It wasn't a lie. Hir had been wearing a gloomy face like he was surrounded by dark clouds since earlier. Even though he had Jane and Hizette by his side, Hir could feel his mother's absence.

"Mother must be very busy now, right?" Hir asked casually, pretending like he wasn't waiting for her. But the adults could clearly grasp what the child wanted to hear. Hir was waiting for Lila.

"Today is Madam Lila's day. All the guests here came to see her, so she would definitely be busy." Jane explained in a soft voice.

"...I know. Of course, I knew that." Hir nodded his head, trying his hardest to stay tough.

Jane smiled at the boy's cuteness and thought of something reassuring to say. "But it seems like Madam Lila also wants to see you. She's been glancing this way the whole time."

Hir, who was behaving like a mature kid and maintaining patience, eventually collapsed. He pressed his plump, pink cheek against the table as if he was melting.

Hizette, who had been watching him throughout the entire day, suddenly glanced around. He then silently stared at one spot for a while before calling to Hir.

"You'll see Madam Lila soon."

"Wha- what?"

"She's on her way here with the Duke."

He could sense Lacias approaching from a distance, and although it was faint, he could also feel the energy of Lila's ring. "Seems like they are coming to see you."

"Waa! Really?!" Hir, who returned to being very excited, jumped up from his seat and spun around like he couldn't wait any longer. It was only when Lila appeared from his point of view that he sat back quietly on his chair.

As Lila approached closer she noticed the excited boy sit straight back down as soon as they made eye contact. He tries to act mature. How cute. Lila made up her mind to pretend like she didn't notice him. "Hir. Did I make you wait for too long? Are you tired?"

"N- no! I was busy looking around so I didn't even realize I waited long. It was a palpable lie, but Lila just smiled as if she found that cute. Lacias, who was staring at the two, nodded his head, acting like he learned something.

"Is that so? I was worried that you were bored because you've been in one place the entire time."

Hir blushed out of the embarrassment of her catching him being impatient. "Re- really? I Didn't know you were watching me...."

Lila decided to continue pretending like she didn't know anything. "Yes. I thought of coming here to see you, but it seemed like you were getting along well with other people, so I waited until you could spare time to play with me. And it looks like I came just at the right time.

"I would've been glad if you came earlier! No matter how busy I am, my mother is my number one priority...!"

Lila gasped in awe at his statement. ".....I'm very touched."

"Re- really. I'm not lying."

"Of course, I know. I'm touched even more because I know you really mean it." She felt the urge to hug him without thinking about the eyes around her. But Lila was a rational person.

Suppressing the urge, Lila asked as she looked around. "By the way, it seems that a lot of children around your age came here today. Have you tried talking to any of them?"

"Ah...."

Hir turned his head awkwardly, clearly trying to avoid responding to her.

Sensing something strange about his reaction, Lila turned to Jane as if telling her to confess what happened.

"Hm, hm...."

When Jane also avoided her gaze, she eventually turned to Hizette. Unlike the previous two, wasn't afraid to tell the Duke's bride what really happened. "The young master ignored all the children who approached him. That's why everyone went back and now he's sitting here alone."

"Hir did?" Lila covered out of surprise. If Hir from the original novel acted this way she would have shrugged it off, but as far as Lila knew, Hir from this world was inherently kind.

Is Hir acting like this only in front of me...? Like Lacias?'

No way, thought Lila. If so, he wouldn't be inheriting the duke but acting in the troupe.

Lila, who had put her thoughts to sleep, asked Hir the question on her mind. "Hir. Do you not want to make friends?"

"Yes... there was no kid I wanted to be friends with...."

Lila couldn't help but believe his words. She was no match for Hir's saddened eyes. "I see."

Seems like he had attracted some weird kids. Only those who give off a bad vibe like Baron Doug Blake.

Despite that Lila tried her best to put on a disapproving face. "Still, those kids worked up the courage to talk to you. It's not a good idea to just ignore them. Next time, why don't you send them back by talking to them nicely?

One day, Hir will have to take over the Duke and lead his social life. Living as a noble, a high-ranking class, is not easy at all. He'll have to think about every word he says and every action he makes. If he can't lead a conversation, his words could be misunderstood whether or not he meant it that way. And all of these are things he had to work on from now.

"Even if you are not satisfied with them now, they may help you in some way in the future." Continued Lila.

Just then, Lacias, who was standing next to her, intervened. "Wipere doesn't need that. Hir did the right thing as my son."

Lila was baffled at his argument. "Even if Wipere doesn't need it? Social skills are necessary for a person to live a decent life."

"That's not how I learned." He opposed it. "But I'm still leading a happy life. My life could not be better than it is now."

Lacias said, smiling with his eyes. But Lila could not agree with him at all.

Even though Lacias spoke with a headstrong smile, Lila could not agree with him at all. But you were always unhappy in the original novel....

*

Lacias' life ended short in the original novel because he had no regrets in his life. Although it was not stated directly in the novel, Lila could tell as a reader that the man was unhappy and had no interest in his life at all.

Although Lila opposed his words she couldn't deny that he didn't have the expression of someone telling a lie.

Is he ... serious?

Lacias was not the type of person who spoke mindlessly. Even when teaching Hir, he never mentioned words like 'satisfaction' or 'happiness'. So it was hard to believe that those words just came out of his mouth.

Is Lacias really happy now... Unlike the original novel?'

Lila studied Hir's face. If it had been the original novel, young Hir would have been wandering the streets by now after being kicked out by Mrs. Marshmell. And as he went through terrible incidents in his life, his round and innocent face would become sharp and cold.

But that was not the case now. Hir's face looked unimaginably bright and happy. And most importantly, plump.

A lot of things have changed because of me....

A warm smile bloomed across Lila's face. "Because you have me on your side. Hir will also need another person to talk to, just like you and me. Someone other than his parents."