Chapter 140 - Enjoying Training (1)

Nixon Kingdom.

It is said to be a place located at the uppermost part of the continent where the winter would linger all year long. Warm weather was practically nonexistent there.

A pure white world... Lila thought admiringly.

In her mind, she envisioned it to be a beautiful and mystical place, just the description was enough to make her want to visit when the chance presented itself.

Curiously, he asked, "Did you really go to Nixon Kingdom?"

"Hm? Oh, yes." she smiled, "I saw how it snowed back there." Lila awkwardly nodded her head and turned her face towards the opposite direction.

Lacias could sense that she was somewhat uncomfortable, but he didn't inquire further. He assumed the reason Lila felt this way was because, in the past, she used to live in the Nixon Kingdom.

A frown was pasted onto his face as he thought about the possibility that she might want to leave his side. Feeling a little worried about her leaving, he said, "Do you miss that place?"

He really hoped she wouldn't nod her head, nor did he want her answer to be mixed with the slightest bit of affirmation.

"Err–no, not at all." She responded, with a surprised tone.

I can't really miss a place I've never been to. Lila shrugged her shoulders and asked in return, "Why did you think so?"

"Because you made that kind of face," said Lacias, recalling the wistful expression that flashed across her face for a few seconds. "It felt like you wanted to go back."

"I don't," she said while chuckling. "I like it here. The Ahibalt Empire is full of things that are precious to me."

Hearing the answer that he wanted, Lacias was able to settle his tensed nerves. However, there was still this unexplainable feeling that he felt itching at his skin. He knew that his intuition had never been wrong. But upon seeing Lila's innocent face that hid no falsehood, he began to doubt himself.

For the first time in his life, Lacias decided to ignore the uneasiness in his chest. His reasoning being that Lila had consecutively presented him with feelings that he'd never experienced before. He reckoned it was the same this time.

"I hope you keep your word. Do not abandon this place that has things you hold dear."

"...Of course."

She had already decided to live for Hir, and although she left his side; the thought of leaving the empire had never once crossed her mind. She would only watch him from a distance, wishing for the child's happiness for the rest of his life.

Lila didn't think much of his previous words and just uttered amusedly, "You're saying all sorts of strange things."

"You probably haven't realized, but I'm actually a very emotional person."

"Pfft—" As Lila burst into laughter, the carriage was suddenly filled with the warmth of their voices.

*

"H-ha, ha...." The small wooden sword in Hir's hand swung, in the air and fell to the ground as he exhaled with deep, heavy breaths. Watching Hir's posture, Hizette's eyes sharpened.

"That's not what I taught you. Fix your stance and aim properly!"

"B-but—"

"Don't think you can act all childish and innocent with me." he chastised, "I am not Madame Lila."

"But it's very, very difficult!" He reasoned, "I feel like my arm is going to fall out...." Hir's short arms couldn't stop trembling from weariness and it was clear he wasn't faking it.

Hizette stood above the young boy with a raised eyebrow and a mocking smile. "Well, isn't it because the young master wanted to learn swordsmanship? Please do your best."

"That ... that's true, Sir—"

"Please, do not use honorifics with me." Interrupted Hizette.

"Oh ... all right."

There was a short silence before Hir tried to go back to training his form. From their interaction just now, he felt that he would never live up to their expectations of him.

Upon seeing the boy's gloomy expression, Hizette turned his head and complimented him. "You did well."

With the words of praise sounding through his head, Hir's dark face immediately brightened again. He held the sword with increased determination and felt the urge to work harder.

"You want to show Madame Lila a wonderful side of you, don't you?" Hizette gave him an understanding look. He knew all too well what it was like to want to prove oneself to others, especially towards the people they care about.

"My mother...."

I love you, however you are, Hir.

He pictured Lila in his head urging him to go on, pushing him forwards. He knew that no matter who he became, his mother would always be there to silently support him.

Hir's face relaxed and his muscles softened. "My mother would often tell me that it was okay even if I didn't always show the best side of me. But...." he suddenly gripped his wooden sword tighter, "I want to be strong enough to protect her!"

He felt the need to give back the unconditional love that Lila showed him, the need to repay all the good she'd done, he had to give back to her. With that in mind. Hir glanced at the knight before him.

Watching the resolute glint in the boy's eyes, Hizette laughed admirably. "Try swinging your sword again this time."

With that, he immediately adjusted the positioning of his body and feet, then he placed the wooden sword in front of him.

Swoosh!

"Hai!"

The gentle sound of splitting air was far different than what it had been before.

Whoosh, whoosh!

Although he was slowly improving, his meager skills weren't enough to perfectly simulate what Hizette had shown him.

While observing Hir's posture, Hizette suddenly raised his head and looked upwards to find Lugar's ring floating above them.

They've returned.

"Today's practice ends here," said Hizette without elaborating.

Hir felt a little confused at first, as just when his fighting spirit came in Hizette abruptly stopped the training, but after putting two and two together, Hir jumped out of joy.

"She's back!"