Chapter 162

The maids who were already at the castle scrambled to their positions the moment Lila stepped foot inside the premises. Lila felt her breath was knocked out of her upon seeing a wide selection of dresses and accessories Camerlinee had prepared for her.

Everyone's schedule was densely packed as they prepared for the wedding. Managing piles of paperwork would be less exhausting, Lila thought. Jane went back and forth the party hall as she studiously checked the roster on Lila's behalf. After her final inspection, she walked back to where Lila was standing and the latter met her halfway.

"Did you tell them what happened earlier?"

"Yes. Deputy Chief Lugas was there so I told him what happened. He said he would check it himself and report it to the commander as well."

Lila nodded, "Okay. I don't want Lacias to worry, but I guess he'll find out eventually." The mere fact that Lacias was aware of the pressing matter was enough to make her feel relieved.

"Don't think about that anymore. Just focus on your wedding, okay? You look so beautiful today, and you're even more beautiful than the first time we met."

Lila laughed softly. Flustered at Jane's words, she raised her hand to scratch her head when Jane abruptly stopped her,

"Don't touch your hair!" Lila's hand stopped short and she let it fall to her side. Sheepishly, she sat down on her chair and Jane went on,

"It's strange. You look the same, but you seem to exude a much different aura."

Lila looked up at her, "Really? How so?"

"Yes. You seem to be more elegant, and I could feel gentleness radiating off you." Jane supplied.

Lila blinked. She went on as if she had no idea what Jane was talking about and proceeded to change the topic altogether. In the back of her mind, however, she felt the prick of conscience poking her. She rubbed her hands together and flashed her a smile.

***

"Oh my god, who is this beautiful lady? I never thought you could be even more beautiful than you already are. It suits you much better than I thought."

Camerline said as she circled Lila in approval. Lila was wearing one of the dresses Camerline had brought for her. Couldn't tear her eyes off Lila, Camerline sported a big smile on her face, and the way she was looking at her reminded Lila of Lacias, who had the same sea-colored eyes, and who had always looked at her so lovingly.

"You're absolutely gorgeous. I never thought you could look this angelic. Words aren't enough to fully describe the beauty you possess." Admiration continued to pour from Camerline's mouth that Lila flushed in embarrassment. The maids fixing Lila's hair felt her stiffen and they all smiled at Lila, agreeing with what Camerline said. Lila dropped her gaze and looked down at her lap.

As much as she appreciated the compliments, she was feeling shy from being the recipient of everyone's attention.

And how could Camerline say things like that? It's like such sweet words were natural to her. Lila was panicking inside but at the same time, she was grateful that Camerline regarded her so tenderly.

"Don't be nervous." Camerline whispered in a soft voice, like a mother talking to her child.

"... Okay."

Other people wouldn't probably notice that Lila was growing nervous by the second, but Camerline did, which was why she tried to make her more comfortable by showering her with constant praises.

"Thank you. For always." Lila said after a brief silence.

"There's no need to thank me." Lila smiled at Camerline's kindness. The tension on her shoulders loosened and she felt more relaxed than she was a few minutes ago.

"I know exactly how you feel. I was once in your position after all. Several hours before I became Camerline Wipere, I was also at edge and nervous, probably even more. I could still remember how tense I was back then. It was a memory I'll never ever forget." Camerline said with a smile.

"I didn't know that. It's hard to imagine you were just as nervous as I am, Duchess."

"It's unfortunate that you still call me Duchess. I don't think I'll forget this anytime soon." Camerline said in a defeated voice. Lila immediately straightened her back and waved her hands in front of her,

"No... I mean—"

"—it only means you're still not comfortable with me. Maybe because I have neglected you."

"N-no! That's not it." Lila almost shouted the words out. Seeing Lila worked up and lose her composure, Camerline smiled at her warmly and tilted her head,

"Then why?"

"Uhm... It's..." Suddenly, Lila remembered Hir. She recalled the time when Hir was hesitant to call Lacias his father.

She now understood what Hir felt back then, now that she's in the same predicament as him.

Deep in her heart she felt Camerline was already her family. The word felt unfamiliar on her tongue despite knowing that the Duchess is now her mother in law, and she knew she should address her as such.

And if she didn't say it out loud, then what use would it be? It doesn't matter if she felt it deep in her bones; the word was good as nothing if it was left unsaid.

Taking a deep breath, she composed herself and willed the shyness away. Lila opened her eyes and looked straight into Camerline's eyes, seeing it looking back at her with the gentleness of the deep blue ocean.

"...Mom. I wanted to call you mom, but I'm just not used to it so it took me quite a while."

"Really?" Camerline's face brightened.

"Yes. I always wanted to call you that, so is that okay?"

"You already know my answer to that." Camerline was all smiles now, "I love hearing you call me mom."