Chapter 51 - The Cat That Ran Away (1)

"Thank you," she said. Lila wore the necklace, still fascinated with the ring that spun inside the diamond.

Lacias smiled. Lila was so focused on admiring the necklace. "Makes me want to give you more," he said, "If only I knew you would be directing so much of your attention to it, I would have made more things solely for you."

"It is enchanting," she said. "I have heard that different users have different coloured rings." She was still staring at the dark blue ring that twirled inside the diamond.

"Yes," he said, "that's true."

"Do you recall saying that you would teach me everything about them?" she asked, tearing her eyes away from the diamond and looking at him.

"I remember every conversation we have had," he said.

"What colour would mine be if I could use them?" asked Lila excitedly.

"I don't know, but I would like it if it was the same colour as mine," said Lacias.

Lila grinned and turned around to pat his back. "What are you doing?" he asked, confused.

"I am looking for something," she said, patting and rubbing his back.

"On my back?" he asked.

"No, lower," she replied, still patting him all over.

"That's going to be a problem," he said, but she wouldn't listen. He sighed. "It's not there."

Lila stopped.

"You continue to fool around with me," he said sadly.

"Me?" asked Lila, afraid that perhaps she had offended him.

"You drive me crazy sometimes," he said looking at her, "I don't seem to be able to think straight when I am with you." He looked at her with such an intense gaze that Lila reached up a hand to touch his cheek.

"Will you teach me about rings today?" she asked.

"As much as you want," he said tenderly.

Lila stood up. Lacias looked disappointed, but she was finally relieved. Lacias' hardened thighs hadn't really been a cushiony comfort.

*

"I have never had a student before," Lacias said, "So, I don't know if I am good at teaching."

"It's alright," Lila assured her, "I will try my best to learn. If I fail despite that, it would mean I am a bad student."

"Since I don't want it to end like that," he said, smiling, "I will try my best as well."

Lacias handed Lila a pistol which had several sapphire lines entwining across the surface of the barrel. "This looks different from the one I saw before," she said, touching along the blue lines. "This isn't yours, is it?" she asked, recalling that he had a pistol of a different design.

"Not mine. Yours," he said, "My second gift to you." Lila was surprised. He was giving away so many gifts to her today. She thanked him.

"If someone attacks you, shoot them and leave the gun on their body," he said, "It is unlikely for something like that to happen but you never know."

Lila nodded, listening attentively. "What happens after I leave the gun on the body?" she asked, curious.

"You needn't worry about that," he said, "I will take care of it."

Lila looked at the Wipere insignia on the handle. It meant that wherever this gun was placed, it would signify that he had taken matters into his own hands. Lila clutched the gun, and the insignia disappeared under her palms.

"I have been able to use rings from when I was born," he explained, "It has always been as simple as breathing for me."

She had read in the original work that Lacias could use rings well, but the major plot of the story had always focused on Hir. So, this was actually the first time that Lila could see that Lacias was very adept in using rings.

"So, while Hizette may be a better teacher for you...," said Lacias, interrupting her thoughts.

Lila looked up at him with an eyebrow raised. "I asked you to teach me, didn't I? Not him," she said, "Don't be so salty."

Lacias smirked. He touched the barrel of the pistol that Lila held. "From here," he said, his finger trailing and stopping at the end of the barrel, "to here." Lila regarded the gun attentively, but couldn't help admiring his long, delicate fingers. "The ring has to be sent inside the bullet," he continued, "That means you have to send it from one end to another, from the inside, envisioning it entering the bullet."

Lila nodded. "You are a quick learner if you understand what I just said," he said, "Takes some people months to understand it."

Lila rolled her eyes. He was obviously complimenting her to make her feel good. She had just been staring at his fingers this whole time.

"Try once," he instructed.