Chapter 171 - A Sneaky Guest (2)

She was curious about why Enrique, who sent a rejection reply saying that he would not be able to attend the wedding due to work, sneaked in here like a mouse. When Lila was about to nod her head in acceptance, Lacias stepped in once more.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think that's possible. My wife was just about to take a break because she is very tired from the events that have been ongoing since earlier."

Lacias wrapped his arms around Lila's shoulders and hugged her tightly as if he didn't want to let her go. Lila could feel the strength in his arms.

If Lacias doesn't want me to go, I'm not going.

She looked back at the Emperor signaling to him that she won't be going with him, but Enrique didn't seem to want to take that as an answer.

"...Duke. It won't take long. I'm not going to eat your wife or something. Why are you so defensive?"

"I'm not being defensive." He instantly answered. "Have you not thought that your Majesty is interrupting our time?"

Lila could see Enrique scrunching his eyebrows, but Lacias showed no sign of stepping back. Enrique, who realized that, waved his hands showing that he's giving up.

"You came all the way here to congratulate me," said Lacias. "So I hope you enjoy your time here and return safely."

His words sounded like a threat. When Enrique started walking away, Lacias's bright smile shone ever so victoriously.

While leaving the two, Enrique passed straight by Lila and stopped for a moment next to her ear before walking away from her. "I guess you're still trying to pretend you don't know me. Also, this is something that even Duke Wipere knows."

*

Should I follow him?

The emperor spoke only a few words, but those few were enough to make Lila's heart sink.

Something that even Duke Wipere knows...?

When Lacias' title was mentioned, she suddenly felt dizzy as though the space around her was spinning. What is this 'thing' that Lacias already knows about? but I myself don't know about it?

Her eyes unconsciously followed Enrique's steps captivated by their destination.

"Lila?" Noticing Lila's face becoming slightly stiff, Lacias tilted his head and brought his face closer to her cheek. "What's wrong?"

"Ah.... It's nothing. As you said, I think I'm just tired." She lied. She couldn't stop thinking about Enrique's last remark and the direction in which he disappeared. Perhaps, he's still waiting for me or he might have secretly left a note. The possibilities seemed endless.

"Hmm, is that so?" His sea-colored eyes were filled with doubt. But instead he played it off with a smile. "If you're tired then you should rest. You should take care of your body."

He gently brushed his hand across her shoulder and she could feel the strength draining out of her with every second.

"There's a rest area over there," he said in almost a whisper.

"I know. You've been talking about that... since earlier." She tried her hardest to not sound as tired as she actually was.

"I mentioned it multiple times, but you didn't seem to hear it." Unlike his soft voice, his face was hard to read.

He's a quick-witted man, so he might have read what I was thinking right away.

It seemed like he was keeping an eye on her as if he was worried that she would go to Enrique. It was funny how he looked at her as if watching a cheating wife.