Chapter 46 - Sorry For Being Late (1)

"I came here to propose something to you." Lila said after making Fasha acknowledge the class difference between them. Now that Fasha could not say anything to oppose Lila's cocky words, she spoke freely.

"I just want two things, Fasha."

"What do you want?"

As she had just been an ordinary country girl who had tasted the glory of power after becoming a countess, Fasha's attitude changed drastically after her marriage. She was obsessed with money and status. The name of Duke Wipere made her bow to Lila despite thinking of her as a fox.

"First, I want Marshmell's toll pass."

Fasha's eyes widened at the strange request. "The one that lets you directly go to the Nixen Kingdom?" She asked to confirm it.

"Yes."

Fasha was surprised since the only family to deal with the Nixen Kingdom were the Hilns. What would Lila do with a useless pass? However, she answered carefully.

"I would have to talk things over with the count."

"Isn't he in another country for a long-term business trip?"

"Yes. How do you know that?"

Again she was surprised by the duchess-to-be. Lila didn't answer her and continued her line of questions.

"Are you asking me to wait that long?"

"No, but the pass-"

"I'm not asking you to do it for free. I will pay a suitable price."

"What could you ... give me?" Fasha's voice shook.

"The second thing."

Lila planned to gain the custody rights for Hir from Madame Marshmell, so Hir could become Lacias' legitimate successor, even when she would not be there.

"I want custody of Hir."

Fasha's mouth fell open at her words. Lila would take her grandson away from her. However, Fasha had many sons and grandsons. She had not yet heard what Lila would give her, but should she risk it to keep custody of a stuttering, weak-minded kid that would not become the head of the family? Additionally, if Hir became the successor to the Wiperes, she might get so much. Fasha's eyes shone with all the possibilities.

"I feel bad that you will lose your grandson, and I am planning to compensate in full."

"Yes, so what are you planning to give me?"

"Let me think."

Lila pretended to think things over, letting Fasha stew for a while, but she had already decided what she would give Fasha during her walk with Hizette last night.

I searched Wipere's black magic stone mine, but there are almost no stones. Even the ones I found do not suit rings. It is difficult to differentiate between coal and the stones, so there may be trouble disposing of them. Lila had discovered a useful tidbit in something Hizette had mentioned.

"Do you know that the Wipere family got a black magic stone mine recently?"

"Yes, of course."

Fasha nodded eagerly. Since black magic stones were rarer than black diamonds, the news had spread like wildfire. If it was being developed by the Wiperes, the mine's value would be amazing. There would be only the best stones there. Fasha's chest filled with anticipation, and Lila internally cringed at the sight.

"I will give you that."

"The black magic stone mine?! You'll give it to me?"

Fasha gulped, as the deal was decidedly in her favor. She would have waited to get Count Marshmell's approval, but the mine was too big to lose.

"Yes. Are you satisfied with the terms?"

"You'll give me the magic stone mine for a mere custody and a rotten pass."

Mere custody? Lila's face turned rigid at Fasha's words, but Fasha did not see Lila's furious expression as she was blinded by greed. She thought that the lowly girl was making a foolish deal and did not understand her losses.

"All right. I agree."

"Yes, I thought this deal would satisfy both of us."

"Absolutely! Bring the contract paper and tea for the Duchess!" Fasha spoke to her servant in the room.

Lila just smiled faintly.

*

Lila was deep in thought with her forehead resting on her palm, as she wrote on the parchment. How would she convey all this to Hir?

[You have a new father, Hir.]

Too hasty! Lila crossed out the sentence.

[I'm marrying again, and it's because I want to raise you in a better environment.]

Lila crossed the line again.

[I'm sorry Hir. Even if I'm a different person now, it's still difficult for you to look at me. That's why I got a better father, and you won't have to endure my presence after a year.]

What was this nonsense? Lila ripped the parchment.

"This is the most difficult thing I've done so far."

Lila's expression changed as she finally made the decision after much thought.

It will be best just to tell him the simple truth.