Chapter 196

Lila was handed a sheet of paper with the title 'Diamond Mine Purchase Contract' written across it. She tried to appear nonchalant, but she couldn't help smiling. She was proud of herself that she was able to accomplish this. The place, where Dawson Hiln's signature was now, would soon have the name Lacias Wipere's written across it.

Dawson's face had collapsed in defeat. He kept fondling the teacup in front of him like he had lost everything. It was obvious that he had no more will to fight. And, surprisingly, Lila didn't care in the least about his pain.

Lila thought that if she had been in Dawson's situation, she would have reacted differently. Even if she had lost everything, she still would have made sure that her opponents didn't know that.

"Thank you for the wedding gift. I like it very much," Lila said, with a slightly mocking voice.

The diamond mine was something she had wanted back for months. It seemed like it had been her only true goal since she started living in this world. She was in a state of euphoria right now. Everything was going according to plan.

If Dawson had come out with the intention of not backing down, Lila would have been troubled. There would have been a chance that she didn't get the diamond mine back.

"I gave you this gift as a way to congratulate you for your wedding." Dawson could barely get the words out. "If you could find it in your heart to give some consideration to my situation, I'll be forever thankful."

"I will think about it." Lila knew what she said was crushing Dawson's pride. And she also knew how important it was to respond in a way that gives him a glimmer of hope.

"Do you mean it? Really, you will consider my position? I'll be made head of the family, not Senior?"

"Dawson, I told you I will think about it. How can a man achieve something so big if he does not have patience?"

"It's only so I can decide on what direction I should take. If you could show me a little faith, then I will be forever in your debt. You will see how useful I can be."

Lila was annoyed at how Dawson kept appealing to her, and not very well. She had figured out everything about him in that short tea time. He was a person who didn't have much and would do whatever it takes to hold on to it. If it hadn't been for his family name, he would have been a nobody. She couldn't help but laugh quietly, stifling it quickly. Unfortunately, it seemed like Dawson heard. But there was nothing Dawson could do. He just sat there, fighting to keep his lips from trembling in anger.

"I'll be off now. I'm quite busy," Lila announced.

"Please remember what I asked you," Dawson begged.

"If I'm not too busy, I'll consider it."

"Thank you." Dawson's face flooded with hope. He couldn't tell that she didn't mean it. Right now, Dawson was probably trying to figure out whose line he should grab and hold on to, simply to survive. He'll be busy looking for someone who could save him.

Lila was glad that Dawson would no longer be able to look down on Senior. It would be best if he just ignored Senior all together. Senior would certainly be happy with that.

Senior believed in me, so it is only right that she succeeds, Lila thought. Lila always thought that those around her could do well, and she was ready to sacrifice herself to make it happen. It was ingrained into her personality, a feeling of happiness when her friends did well in life.

The air felt fresh and the colours seemed bright when she walked out of the Hiln mansion. And it all came from a simple document she had folded in her pocket

"I feel like flying," she announced to Lugar with a smile.

"Yes. That's because you are too thin, ma'am." Lugar joked with her.

"No, I didn't literally mean I was going to fly away. My feet feel like they are floating, because I'm so happy."

"To me, you actually look like you're going to fly away. Please be careful not to, I'm begging you." Lugar pretended to start crying, then broke out in laughter. Lila gave him a smack on the arm.

"Where is the duke?" Lila asked.

"The master is currently in the mansion, from what I know. Hizette told me that he didn't have a particular schedule set for today. Waiting dearly for you may be his only task for the day."

"Why do you have to say it like that?" Lila's face turned red with embarrassment. Lugar's mischievous smile mocked her, as his eyes displayed complete innocence in the entire situation.

"Lacias is an innocent soul," Lila mumbled to herself. Lugar pretended not to hear such things about his master. The master had a reputation to uphold. He just watched as Lila smiled to herself.

"Do you like him that much?" he asked.

"Pardon?" Lila looked up.

"Were you smiling happily, thinking about the master?" Lila had been thinking about the part of Lacias that other people didn't know about. The part of Lacias that only she knew was lovely. She shook her head, her embarrassment increasing.

"Then what were you just thinking about? You were smiling very happily," Lugar said.