Chapter 178 - In Plain Sight (1)

Is she serious?

At first, Lila thought she was joking, but her face looked so serious that it confused her. She couldn't understand why Camerline was so obsessed with finding a woman or old man as an advisor for her when she was going by just fine alone.

Doesn't she know that no matter how young or handsome the man is, he can't be any better than Lacias...?

Camerline should have had no worries in that regard, because to Lila, her son was matchless.

"Just hire anyone," says Lila. "Whoever that person is, I won't mind."

Camerline raised her eyebrow a notch. "Really? I'm afraid you'll leave my son's side."

"Don't worry, I have quite high standards."

Why is she worried about such a thing when Lacias is my husband? Lila couldn't understand why Camerline responded in a questioning tone as if she heard something hard to believe.

"But considering your ex-husband, I don't think you have high standards at all."

"Ah...." Lila had little to say about Count Marshmell, considering how she never chose him. Even appearance-wise, Lila knew nothing about, because she was brought to the novel world after his death.

But judging from Camerline's reaction, He must have been far from handsome.

Contrary to him, Lila was a beautiful flower that attracted both bees and flies. But instead of blocking them, Mrs. Marshmell used her beauty to get what she wanted.

Perhaps her relationship with Enrique started that way too.

After Enrique left with a significant remark, Lila made several assumptions. Of them, the most convincing one being that Enrique was initially interested in Lila's beauty, but after finding out she had an innate ability to control her ring, he decided to take advantage of her.

"I think my eyesight was bad at the time," said Lila half-jokingly to avoid the topic.

As usual, Camerline took the matter seriously. "It seems to be a disease that can recur at any time. I'll have to tell the Duke to stay handsome and spruce himself up all the time."

"No, he's way too handsome already. My heart won't handle it...."

Even now, seeing his face makes my heart flutter. If he becomes even more handsome, I'll soon die of a heart attack.

"Hm?" Camerline had a mischievous gleam in her eyes. "You should say that in front of him, not me."

Realizing that she had just said something sensitive, Lila smiled in embarrassment. "No way. How could I say such things in front of Lacias?"

"I'm sure he'll like it," she said, shrugging it off.

"I know that, but... the words won't come out of my mouth despite my will."

"Well, I agree. It's the same with me too."

The two were talking through a tin can telephone it seemed, the nobles around them tried to find an opportunity to join the conversation but the subject didn't allow it.

The only person looking at them with a sullen face as if displeased was the groom. Lacias, who had been waiting for Lila like a loyal dog, eventually ran out of patience and started walking up to her.

"Duke Wipere!"

His sudden appearance caught the group by surprise and all eyes immediately flew to him. He even brought a little audience of his own as the few aristocrats who attended the wedding for the sole purpose of winning his favor followed him everywhere he went.

"Duke, you look great today-"

"Get out of the way."

His tone of urgency came as a huge warning to his followers. "So- sorry... sir...!"

After confirming that Lila was the only one not watching him, Lacias hardened his face coldly. The young nobleman, who was about to greet the groom, trembled nervously with a feeling of intimidation.

The friendly face that people got used to throughout the wedding vanished. The Duke was giving off a threatening aura that seemed to crush others.

The young nobleman barely managed to remain standing still after nearly collapsing in place.

Despite the piteous sight, Lacias didn't even beat the man an eye. He treated him no differently from an ant crawling on the floor.

Some nobles, who already knew Lacias' cold nature, clicked their tongues at the sight. Even if he was wearing the mask of a gentle lamb, Duke Lacias was Duke Lacias. One's nature cannot change.

One noble, who was watching the situation from afar, grinned. They silently stared at Lacias for a while, before slowly walking to him without halting.

Lacias, who sensed the man approaching, threw a cold glance towards him. The young man in a neat suit looked like he was around the same age as him.

Because the guest was a little shorter than Lacias, he had to look down at him blocking the way in the process. Lacias was about to repeat what he said to the terrified noble a bit ago when the approaching person spoke first.

"The Duchess...."

"...?"

It was not the usual praise that Lacias heard throughout the day, so Lacias closed his mouth at the unexpected topic and stared at him silently.

"....looked very beautiful. I saw her for the first time today, but I could tell how beautiful she was at first glance. I've never seen a couple look this lovely together."

It seemed like he was going to appeal to him differently from others. He thought that Lacias would show interest if he praised his wife instead of him, and it seemed like his strategy was working.

Lacias listened to the man without a word as if telling him to go on. His attitude was different from the cold manner that scared people off a while ago. The man continued in excitement.

"I could tell at first glance that there couldn't be a couple as perfect as you two."

The man slowly went closer to Lacias but to no avail, the duke was hard to read, but the man had a confident expression drawn on him as if he was convinced of something. Perhaps he wanted to pretend to be friendly so he placed his hand on Lacias' shoulder.

"The Duchess seems to love you very much. Her eyes were on you all the time."