Chapter 164

Hizette stiffened at the stranger's hold and he found himself being frustrated, since his training as a knight proved no match against the stranger's tight grip. He loosened his body in an attempt to maneuver and hit the man but he couldn't move in the slightest.

"Shhh." The stranger whispered to his ear. The man's voice was oddly familiar to Hizette. He figured out who it was a second after, his body relaxing instantly as the latter released him.

"Why are you so quick-witted?"

"What brings you here, master?" Hizette asked as he faced him.

"Oh, you know, just going out for a walk." Lacias said nonchalantly.

"Do you know you aren't supposed to see the bride before the wedding?" Hizette raised his eyebrows.

Lacias rolled his eyes in response. "You talk too much." Then he grabbed him once again and covered his mouth. At that moment, not only two were snooping around Lila's waiting room but three.

***

Hizette was visibly frowning at his master, but Lacias didn't mind him at all, and if anything, he looked somewhat disinterested.

"Does it bother you so much that you decided to go here despite what the rules say?"

"It's not that I'm bothered. It's just that I love her too much. My hands shake if I don't see her even just for a little while. I couldn't help it." Lacias said as a matter of factly.

Hizette crossed his arms while glaring at Lacias. He couldn't believe he was acting like this, pacing back and forth outside Lila's waiting room.

"That is just pathetic. What are you going to do if someone sees you? You better head back right now." Hizette warned.

Lacias waved his hand in dismissal, "You're not going to be any different from me in the future. You'll see."

"No, I won't—" Then he snapped his mouth closed. It's like he wasn't sure of his words anymore as his gaze fell on Lila. Through the opening, he could see Lila conversing with Hir with a gentle smile on her face.

"You don't sound very sure." Lacias remarked, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"No, I won't be like you." Hizette muttered. Nothing was said after that, only the sounds coming from the waiting room could be heard across the hall. Lacias raised his eyebrows at his friend's sudden silence before looking away, "I'll head back. Take Hir with you, and you shouldn't pamper him too much."

"Okay."

Lacias was gone as soon as he had come, like he wasn't there in the first place. Hizette stared at the spot Lacias had just vacated before turning around and knocking on the door.

"Young master, it's time to go back."

"Already?" Hir said defeatedly. He raised his head from Lila's arms, his whole body was leaning on Lila and Hizette knew what the boy wanted without hearing it from him. As much as he'd like to give in to Hir's wordless request, he knew he needed to abide by Lacias' order.

"You've been here for quite too long already. You promised me you would only pay her a short visit."

Hir pouted as he mumbled words of protests. His eyes were like that of a puppy's that the maids looking at him couldn't help but be endeared, but Hizette stood there like a rock, completely unfazed.

Lila chuckled at Hir's subtle protests. Patting his back softly, she pulled back and realizing she was going to let him go, Hir stuck his lips out even more as he looked up at Lila.

"You have to keep your promise, Hir." Lila reminded while combing his hair with her fingers.

"I know... but I'm just sad."

"I'm also sad that you're leaving. But we will see each other later, okay?"

Hir brightened instantly, "Y-yes! You're right!" blushing like a peach, Hir stood with his chest out like a grown-up man, "I'll see you later, mother!"

"I'll see you!" Lila chirped just as happily. Even though he was still short, just the thought of Hir growing up so maturely made her feel so proud of him.

And she can't imagine how lovely he would be when he meets the female protagonist in the future. Even if their situations changed, the two will still inevitably meet.

Thinking about it had her smiling genuinely. She looked at Hir with a proud smile and waved her hand, "See you later, my son."

"Yes mother! We'll head out now." Hir made a show of bowing as he stood beside Hizette. She thought Hizette would tell Hir to hurry up but surprisingly, he was waiting quietly and patiently. Standing there with his back straight, he looked dignified and she could see that he, too, had also matured.

"The young master seems determined for his age." The maids began to chatter amongst themselves as soon as Hir and Hizette left the premises. Among all the compliments the maids showered Hir in, that particular praise was what caught Lila's attention.

"You think so?" Lila asked with a smile. She felt at ease hearing Hir get so much approval.

"My son Hir, even though he didn't train in swordsmanship for that long, I believe he still can."

Lila joined their conversation and expressed compliments of her own. The maids listened to her intently and their gazes were rapt with attention.