Chapter Thirty Four

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

MICAH BLEU

Yesterday was my last day at Neptune. Theo tried to convince me to come to some leaving drinks with Abi, Lauren and a few others who wanted to say goodbye. But I politely declined, I didn't want to drag it out any longer than I had to.

During the time I was working my notice I would come home from work and log straight onto LinkedIn and Indeed, applying for any job that sounded like it would suit me.

Luckily I bagged myself a job for an analyst role in London, due to start next week, giving me the weekend and a few days to myself to get prepared for my new job.

I could tell Weston was trying to catch my attention here and there at Neptune but I knew it would be best if we didn't speak and I left silently. The heartbreak didn't need to prolong and leaving felt like a weight off my shoulders, finally giving myself a chance to breathe.

Every morning I no longer had to wake up with anxiety of seeing Weston and all my progress going back to the start again.

Valentina had voluntarily decided to spend the weekend with me rather than going out with Theo, helping me prep for my first day at work on Wednesday. I appreciated her more than she knew, even though I didn't want to admit I wanted to be alone, she could always read me like a book.

We both currently had thick clay face masks smeared across our skin whilst a pizza cooks in the oven. Valentina had chosen a horror movie for us both but considering it was only three o'clock in the afternoon, there was no way we could be scared.

My phone vibrates on the sofa next to me and I take one glance at it, Valentina's head turns and she leans forward to pause the movie. "You gonna take it?" She questions.

I nod as I look down at the unknown number, standing from the sofa and swiping my finger across the screen to answer the phone.

My feet take me into my bedroom as I stare towards the window. "Hello?"

"Hi, is that Micah?"

"Yeah, who's this?"

"It's Jenny from Luno Limited," she says and my eyes widen.

"Oh yes, hi Jenny. How are you?"

She hums through the line. "I'm fine, thank you for asking. I've rung to talk about your upcoming role with the company."

"Yeah," I nod eagerly.

"Micah, I am so sorry to bring you this news but the role for logistics analyst is no longer going ahead," she says slowly. For a moment I blink back at the window like this was some kind of joke. "We don't have enough resources and trainees to bring you into this role, it will one hundred percent be available in the future but right now we won't be able to make it possible."

My lips part and my mouth becomes suddenly dry, struggling to swallow at all.

"Micah?"

"I-I," I stutter before shaking my head. "That's okay." My voice forces out.

"I apologise for this being such late notice to your start date and I really hope you can accept out apology in how unprofessional this is." Jenny says with a soft sigh.

I shake my head again and purse my lips, attempting to stop my eyes from burning with tears. "No worries, thank you for letting me know." I say as politely at possible even though I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs.

"Thank you Micah, we will be in touch in the future. We appreciate all of this."

"Bye," my voice barely comes out above a whisper before I cut off the call.