Chapter Thirty Nine

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

WESTON LOCKE

After our lunch came and we ate whilst watching a series on Netflix, I had to get back to work. Even though it was the last thing I wanted to do, I had matters to attend. All I wanted was to make sure that Micah was okay, after our talk and a bit of food he seemed perkier. A tiny bit at least.

When I told him I had to leave, I swear I almost saw a look of regret in his eyes. They teared up but he refused to cry, I wasn't sure if he could physically cry anymore due to the lack of water he has drank in the last few days.

I kiss his head and tell him that I'll call him later, I'm not even sure if he wanted me to but I would. He promised he'd get up, get in the shower and try and be productive. Call his mother and take one day at a time.

I believed him.

The rest of the afternoon dragged, I had meeting after meeting with Fred and a few other directors. Not that I could concentrate but I knew I needed to, we had a big conference coming up and we needed to be prepared.

When it approached six o'clock, most of the office had gone home for the day. Fred had already left to take his children to some sports class, maybe it was time to call it a day too.

I pull back one of my desk drawers to place some files inside, my eyes fall upon the car keys that Micah had given back to me a few weeks ago. My teeth bite down on my lip as I grip them and decide on my next move.

Micah will need to see his mother more, he'll need the car.

I pack my things and ask Darryl to drop me off outside Micah's apartment. I didn't know if he'd want to see me but he deserved the car and I wanted him to use it, for the reason that I gave it to him in the first place.

When I reach his front door, I hesitate for a moment. Does this count as stalking?

I curse myself in my head and force myself to knock otherwise I'll be standing here all night. After a few moments the door swings and Valentina smiles as soon as she seems me. "Hey," she wraps her arms over her cardigan. "Micah is asleep. Think you coming over has exhausted him, but in a good way."

"I just came to drop these off," I say as I hold up the keys between my fingers. Valentina looks at my hands and smiles. "Could you give these to him for me please?"

She takes them from me and nods. "Sure, of course." She says quietly. "Thank you again for earlier. You really are a saviour."

"I wouldn't have not come, especially knowing the state he was in. I'm just glad he's feeling better now," I breathe out.

"Me too, I–" Valentina stops talking as Micah's bedroom door cracks open from behind her.

She glances over at her shoulder, Micah emerges rubbing his tired eyes. Dressed in a black hoodie and black tracksuit bottoms. At least he was now in fresh clothes.

He looks at me and stands still. I clear my throat. "How are you feeling?" I call out to him.

"Better," his voice is quiet. "I think."

"I'm pleased," I offer him a smile.

We stand staring back at each other for a few moments until I take one step back. "Urm... goodnight, both of you." I nod. Deciding to take a step away and not bombard him was the best decision.

He needed time to breathe, I shouldn't suffocate him.

As I turn to walk down the hall I hear his voice. "Wait," he calls out, footsteps approaching their front door.