𝟏𝟖. the mountain's wrath

°∴,*⋅✲✦ ( ♕ ) ✦✲⋅*,∴°

━━━━ »•» act two. age of shadow

 age of shadow

18. the mountain's wrath «•« ━━━━

 the mountain's wrath «•« ━━━━

* ✧                          .°

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ third age ━━ year 3019

𓇻 misty mountains; caradhras {redhorn}

*.                           ✦                            °.

THE LAST TIME ELGARAIN HAD SEEN SNOW, SHE WAS JUST A YOUNG ELFLING. The warm winds blowing in from the sea all year long kept most snow storms out of Mithlond and the magic protecting the valley of Imladris kept snow from ever falling. The last time she'd witnessed the strange sensation of being able to walk on top of the white blanket was when she visited the Blue Mountains with her father. Though the Dwarves preferred to live underground, Gil-Galad hadn't been able to resist the opportunity to climb up the mountain with his daughter and show her the snow that never melted, even during the warmest summer months.

Now, watching the white landscape stretching out around her, Elgarain was left speechless once again. The sun made the ground sparkle, illuminating the tiny crystals that had fallen from the sky. She couldn't stop staring at the strange sight of her boots not leaving so much as a print in the snow. Elves were known for being light of feet but such things were less visible on a forest floor.

All her awe however disappeared when she watched the Hobbits struggle as they climbed. The higher they went, the thicker the snow became and they weren't even at the top yet. She'd gladly trade with them but there wasn't much she could do. Besides, they weren't the only ones struggling. Gimli was breathing louder by the second, though not a word of complaint made it past his lips. She guessed the Dwarf would rather die than admit defeat against the mountain. Beside her, Boromir's breathing labored as well. Not only did he carry his own weight but also that of his armor, his shield and his sword. All heavy weapons compared to her spear and daggers.