𝟑𝟕. of herbs and stewed rabbit

°∴,*⋅✲✦ ( ♕ ) ✦✲⋅*,∴°

━━━━»•» act three. age of anguish

 age of anguish

37. of herbs and stewed rabbit  «•« ━━━━

* ✧                                   

* ✧                                   .°

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ third age ━━ year 3019

𓇻 rohan; great west road

*.                           ✦                            °.

THE PEOPLE OF ROHAN MOVED IN AN ORDERLY ROW ACROSS THE LAND. The cavalry protected the front, as well as the back. The infantry covered the middle and the convoy's flank. Far ahead of the convoy rode a group of scouts on horseback, to make sure Saruman's troops wouldn't attempt a surprise attack. As expected, they moved slowly. The road from Edoras to Helm's Deep was about 60 miles and given the number of children and elderly with them, Elgarain feared it would take them no less than three days to reach safety.

What she feared even more, was that Gyda might have been right about fighting Saruman's troops head on. They were vulnerable on the road, too vulnerable. Though, looking around, she couldn't possibly imagine winning such a battle. They were simply outnumbered without Éomer's banished soldiers around. And even then, they would make a small army. She felt selfish for thinking it, but Elgarain was glad she did not have to make the choice Théoden had been forced to make.

To distract herself from overthinking the situation any further, she gently squeezed Aragorn's hand. They'd been walking side by side at the back of the convoy, occasionally lending a helping hand to a stumbling elder or a cart stuck in the mud, but always finding their way back to each other.