𝟐𝟏. the mines of moria

°∴,*⋅✲✦ ( ♕ ) ✦✲⋅*,∴°

━━━━ »•» act two. age of shadow

 age of shadow

21. the mines of moria «•« ━━━━

* ✧                         

* ✧                          .°

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ third age ━━ year 3019

𓇻 misty mountains; khazad-dûm {moria}

*.                           ✦                            °.

THE DARKNESS PULLED AT HER AS THOUGH IT WAS A LIVING, BREATHING MONSTER. Elgarain could feel the shadows breathing down her neck and settling into her lungs like smoke. Every step they took left eerie echoes chasing them. Every path they chose was cracked and narrow. Never before had she longed this desperately for the sight of the open sky above her. Though, despite the haunting shivers covering her skin, the ruins of the old Dwarven Kingdom held a strange kind of beauty. Beauty of a tragic, sorrowful tale that brought long forgotten history back to life.

Guided by the pale light of Gandalf's staff, Elgarain only caught glimpses of the once mighty Moria. But its endless halls, stairways and impressive bridges managed to paint a faded picture of its former glory. And after walking for so many hours through the pitch-black dark, it brought her a strange kind of comfort to picture warm fires burning in these walls, accompanied by the smell of food and the sound of laughter.

Though those thoughts were accompanied with a certain fear gnawing at her heart. As though the ruins of Moria had offered her a glimpse into the future of her own kingdom should their mission fail. And every other kingdom of Middle-Earth...

Desperate to shake those thoughts, Elgarain focused her sight on her companions instead. The narrow paths demanded they walk single file. Gandalf in front, his gray hair almost looking silver beneath the light of his staff. Behind him came Gimli, who, despite the grief displayed so clearly on his face, was looking around as though he'd stumbled into a tale of old. Then came Frodo and the other three Hobbits. They seemed to be doing slightly better than they did back on the mountain pass but still the fear lingering within their eyes was unmistakable. Behind them, directly in front of her, walked Legolas, who looked much more tense than she'd ever seen him before. Behind her walked Gyda and Elgarain knew without looking back that her hand would be hovering near her weapons. Boromir walked behind her, his breathing shallow and at the rear walked Aragorn, grim and silent.